Any Advice For Filters??

1. kplaty

kplaty Valued Member Member

I have a 5-gallon tank with a built in filter and it is AWFUL. I have to do water changes every day because the filter can't do its job! I currently am using Aqueon® QuietFlow Internal Power Filter as a replacement (10-gallon size, it was the smallest one I could find) but I'm not quite happy with it. I'm looking for a good filter that hangs outside the tank, not the ones that take up space in the tank. I also would like if the filter could be compact and hidden, but I am willing to sacrifice the look of a filter for one that can work. Any recommendations?

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Aquaclear hang on back filters look nice and work well. Maybe look into that?

3. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Aquaclears work pretty good on small tanks, a air powered sponge filter may also work too, depending on the fish.

4. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

In most cases I'd go with a sponge filter for a five gallon myself. A single large sponge works really well. Usually sold as being for 10 gallon tanks. A double sponge will take up a lot of space and probably be too tall but the singles you can find as short as 6".

5. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

go with a canister;). Actually just use a sponge filter...they are good for beneficially bacteria but not to good at mechanical filtration. In my opinion bio filtration is more needed than mechanical filtration

6. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

I know this is old school, but have you thought about an undergravel? Only thing that shows is the uprights and bubbles and if you don't overfeed, it is a pretty good solution for a 5g. Mine with only 1 betta so far is working well.

7. tocandesu

tocandesu Well Known Member Member

Your profile says that you don't about the nitrogen cycle. Is the tank cloudy?

8. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

9. m

minervalong Well Known Member Member

Mine isn't noisy, medium quality pump, two capped uprights, really can't hear it.

10. OP
    OP
    kplaty

kplaty Valued Member Member

No, it's not. There was one time it was cloudy but it was due to medication I put in the tank. I'm not worried because I did learn about the nitrogen cycle and now my tank is cycled.

11. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

12. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I have a 5 gallon as a QT tank and use a Marinelane Penguin 75. Keeps the water crystal clear and provides a lot of surface agitation, I am very pleased with it. Aquaclear is good, too, I use one in my main tank (20G).

13. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member