Any Advice For Betta Tank?

Bry
I guess I should start off saying that I'm a first time Betta owner. In my 10+ years I didn't own a Betta until four days ago. Honestly I just never found one that called to me.
I tried to ignore his call and caved, bought a whole new setup and everything.
Phantom lives on a 2.5 gallon on my nightstand. I know the size is debatable already but I can't really get any bigger. His cup was even cracked at the store and very slowly leaking There is a thermometer in his tank that is always in the mid to high 70s so I haven't yet seen a need for a heater.
I'm just looking for advice on if I need to add anything or in general.... I know I should probably get a backdrop? I read somewhere that it could help stress, but I didn't see any I liked at the time. Selfish I know. He photographs kinda of blueish green but he has a black face and a silver/grey body and fins.

Attachments

• 1520155976416.jpg
    1520155976416.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20180304_034148.jpg
    20180304_034148.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180304_034154.jpg
    20180304_034154.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 101
Rohit mess
He looks cool.
Now for you,
1o something about the leak. Use aquarium safe silicone (tank makers will help you out with this or use a glue gun (temporary)
2o 10%wc every alternate day. (As water volume is less this will help to keep water in better condition) also avoid large volume water changes. 50%wc is max only when things are going south.
And as you have 10+years of experience I think you know rest of the stuff.
3: try Java moss or any live plant that you like and remove the plastic plant once it grows up.
4: as like all other fish they tend to hide for a week (mine did) under some floating plant or in dark corners.
5o not overfeed. 2-3 pellet twice a day is more than enough.
6: remove any uneaten food.
And most IMPORTANTLY,
Play with him for few mins everyday.
Mine was black and grey with tint of red in fins. Two weeks later he is green black red blue and toooo beautiful.

Mary765
Rohit mess op meant the cup the betta was in at the fish store, not the tank the betta is currently in.

But apart from that I second everything rohit has said!

Beautiful boy, good luck, have fun!

Bry
1.The tank doesn't have a leak, his little cup at the store had a leak.
2. Should I start that immediately? I'm currently putting that Safe Start bacteria in it, a little every day to help the cycle since I literally bought the whole setup because I fell in love with him.
3. Is there any plants that will outgrow the tank? Or will any do? My other tanks have live plants and those plants have GROWN.
4. Phantom hid for a few hours but he swims up to me when I'm near the tank. If I put a finger near it, he'll swim to my finger.
5. Way ahead of you on that one. I give him a couple pellets twice a day, before work and after.
6. Got it.
How do you play with a Betta? I didn't even know you could.
I hope his colors don't change too much I love his colors.

Mike1995
what kind of filtration is with the tank? I use a sponge filter for mine

paloma17
1.The tank doesn't have a leak, his little cup at the store had a leak.
2. Should I start that immediately? I'm currently putting that Safe Start bacteria in it, a little every day to help the cycle since I literally bought the whole setup because I fell in love with him.
3. Is there any plants that will outgrow the tank? Or will any do? My other tanks have live plants and those plants have GROWN.
4. Phantom hid for a few hours but he swims up to me when I'm near the tank. If I put a finger near it, he'll swim to my finger.
5. Way ahead of you on that one. I give him a couple pellets twice a day, before work and after.
6. Got it.
How do you play with a Betta? I didn't even know you could.
I hope his colors don't change too much I love his colors.

As far as playing goes, bettas like to move stuff around. If you’re interested in plants, especially low maintenance ones, marimo moss balls (aka Luffy betta balls) are inexpensive and can sit at the bottom of your tank or float at the surface, and your betta can push them around with their nose. Ping pong balls also work as surface play but I would recommend rinsing it in a separate container of tank water first (but you probably already knew that). There are also fish training kits and ways to make them do tricks, but I don’t have a lot of experience with that.

delete0000
Hes beautiful! Bettas are so wonderful. You can create such a lovely bond with one, they are truly, amazing little fish..Id also second on live plants, fake plants, unless they are silk, tend to tear betta fins up. I have three tiny marimo moss balls my bettas like to push around (like paloma17 commented) Bettas love floating plants, to make their bubble nests in! I have some duckweed in my 3.5. I also cut an old appropriately sized pill bottle on both sides and washed it well (you can also make this from a pvc tube/pipe), he loves swimming through it and sleeping in it. Little enrichments like these help prevent boredom, which in time prevents fin biting to an extent. Make sure the flow on your filter (if you have one) isn't too strong! Bettas don't like to get wiped around too much, as naturally they live in calm/still waters. As for background, I just got some construction paper from my local dollar store and taped it to the back of mine with small pieces of tape. It works well and looks as if the back was painted.

jjtt89.png

Bry
I think my little guy is still adjusting. Any tips on feeding? He'll eagerly eat bloodworms, but I can't get him to eat pellets. And I haven't seen him blow bubbles, but it hasn't even been a week yet since I got him. So maybe he's still making himself at home. Though he seems to "like" me already. He'll happily swim up to me when I'm nearby or chase my finger.
I will definitely get him a moss ball or two to play with and two? live plants. Do they like a lot of foliage? I didn't know plastic could hurt him He sits in it all the time (Probably because he doesn't have other options.)
Your betta is beautiful! I've never seen a solid white. In my area all I see is the bright reds, blues, and greens.

Rohit mess
Plastic or any sharp object may hurt/tear their fins. Its same with all the fishes, in any small tank.
My betta loves to go merry go rounds through that sponge holder of the old filter. He sleeps or rests in there too or behind the sponge or under the plants in corner. I currently have some sharp edges on my wood (not sharp to cut us but I think it maybe sharp enough for the tiny creature.) And some pointy grass, so I always keep a check on his fins and take a pic everyday.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1520023207041.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1520023207041.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 54
WanhiBetta
I just want to say, 4-6 pellets a day is a lot! Bettas only need 1-2, more than that they'll get bloated easily.

Also, if he doesn't like pellets, you can feed him frozen mysis shrimps and flakes!

delete0000
I think my little guy is still adjusting. Any tips on feeding? He'll eagerly eat bloodworms, but I can't get him to eat pellets. And I haven't seen him blow bubbles, but it hasn't even been a week yet since I got him. So maybe he's still making himself at home. Though he seems to "like" me already. He'll happily swim up to me when I'm nearby or chase my finger.
I will definitely get him a moss ball or two to play with and two? live plants. Do they like a lot of foliage? I didn't know plastic could hurt him He sits in it all the time (Probably because he doesn't have other options.)
Your betta is beautiful! I've never seen a solid white. In my area all I see is the bright reds, blues, and greens.

I gave my betta 2 days before feeding him, to let him adjust. Sometimes when you first bring them home from the pet store they will be stressed for a little while before fully becoming comfortable. Afterwards I would feed him 2 or 3 pellets in the morning and 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Which type of pellets did you get? My betta will not eat sinking pellets at all. But he will go crazy for floating pellets! Once he adjusts to his environment he should blow bubbles soon. Absolutely! Bettas naturally come from waters which are FULL of foliage! Thank you so much! Hes not a solid white, although I sure do love solid whites. He has blue tinges

x3vhnc.png

david1978
Dont feel bad ive had fish for 20 some years and finally got bettas 2 years ago. I should of researched more sooner but I never could have a single fish in a tank all by himself. So now I have 17 in one tank.

Bry
david1978 I find myself reading all sorts of advice on this website anyway, just for more knowledge. So I knew kinda sorta what to get. But I posted this in case I missed anything. I would love to do a big tank with multiple fishie friends but I just currently don't have the space. I tried to put a couple neon tetras in with him and Phantom kept killing them. So I'm assuming he doesn't want friends.
Adaberny Still beautiful, like I said all I typically see is the bright colors. And the touches of aqua are even prettier. I've never seen a white betta or a greyscale one, which may be part of the reason I was so drawn to Phantom. While I tend to like brightly colored fish, the more mute colored bettas catch my eye. I (try to) feed him Tetra Betta Small Floating Pellets. He'll line up and look like he's going to eat them then he'll swim off. But if I put in bloodworms he'll gobble up every one in seconds. I tried some sinking shrimp pellets I had on hand and he wouldn't eat them either. My local petshop gets in a big shipment of live plants tomorrow so I'll try to post an update once I get them in.
WanhiBetta I will definitely try the shrimps, but I read somewhere that bettas shouldn't have flakes? Unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

david1978
Some people say flakes are the worse. I don't know that's the only thing all mine will eat so flakes are their staple.

WanhiBetta
I Have never seen anything against flakes! Mine are made of good ingredients and keep my bettas absolutely healthy. As long as you buy good quality, I can't see why flakes would be bad for your betta.

But if anyone wants to give me a good explanation on why flakes would be bad, I'd love to hear that!

The Rover
I would get a heater. You ideally want temps between 78-80 so while it sounds like you won’t need it most of the time, if it get cold they are more susceptible to disease as their immune system can be negatively impacted.

Bry
I just thought about it, can live plants grow with an LED light?

B1GD4DDY
Plants have no problems with LED lights. Considering you have kit lighting, try to stay with plants rated for low light levels. Anubias or Java Ferns come to mind...

Bry
That's kinda what I figured. Any other plants you would recommend? I would go and buy a different lid and get the proper lights but the tank is triangle shaped. I'm already debating to maybe get a cube tank? I don't know if that would help the lighting at all. The currently lighting is one little LED light in the middle of the tank

B1GD4DDY
I am still pretty new to plants and I was told that I wouldn't be able to do much with the kit LED lights that came with my setup. However I have some Anachris, supposedly medium light level, taking off well. However, I did get more than one little LED with my kit. Any chance there is a window near your nightstand?

Bry
Unfortunately not.

B1GD4DDY
I have also heard of successes with using a simple desk lamp... just a thought.

Bry
It's next to a floor lamp? But the lid is black so I don't think it would help...

delete0000
If you're ever planing on getting a bigger tank, I would upgrade to a fluval spec. The light that comes with it can grow really beautiful plants, and it looks soo good.

CanadianFishFan
I just want to say, 4-6 pellets a day is a lot! Bettas only need 1-2, more than that they'll get bloated easily.

Also, if he doesn't like pellets, you can feed him frozen mysis shrimps and flakes!
For females id say 1-2 for males I would say 3-4

WanhiBetta
Why would you give a different amount of food for m/f? It's the same fish. If anything, female would need more food for breeding.

A fish stomach is approximately the same size as its eyes (1-2 pellets). Only time I fed more my betta got bloated.

CanadianJoeh
4 is too much, 3 is pushing it.

sarah zehowski

Food was always a size issue for my bettas. Regular pellets were too big. Flakes are too messy.
I had to buy smaller pellets for all my bettas. HikarI micro pellets they have them at Petco and stuff. It’s the only thing they’ll eat really now.

librarygirl
So I have a 3 gallon tank with a betta, java fern, and 2 anubias. I use the little light that came with the tank in the early mornings and evenings, but have a 23 watt cfl bulb on for 6 hours a day for the plants (I don’t shine this light directly on the tank though- it just gets the illumination)

Attachments

• D1A0FDF6-39EE-482D-99C5-88592606F451.jpeg
    D1A0FDF6-39EE-482D-99C5-88592606F451.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 72
  • B7B41937-9443-4EB2-BA02-EA72764CBC37.jpeg
    B7B41937-9443-4EB2-BA02-EA72764CBC37.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 69
Bry
Adaberny I looked into them and I don't have the space for one.
But some of you will be happy to know I am upgrading him to a standard 5 gallon tonight. I didn't like the look of the triangle one that I got for him. I'm going to move him tonight and add the love plants tomorrow when I get them. Should I get a snail? I noticed quite a few people with Bettas had a snail in their tank?

Phantom's new home. I know it's sparse right now but I'm adding live plants tomorrow. I added a heater, I don't know if the added gallons would affect how warm the water would be. I put the "old" filter from the 2.5 in the new filter to help with bacteria along with adding some Safe Start. For anyone concerned about the alarm clock, it's only used to tell time.
Is it better?

Attachments

• 20180308_022005.jpg
    20180308_022005.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20180308_022111.jpg
    20180308_022111.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 65
CanadianFishFan
Why would you give a different amount of food for m/f? It's the same fish. If anything, female would need more food for breeding.

A fish stomach is approximately the same size as its eyes (1-2 pellets). Only time I fed more my betta got bloated.
I don't breed.... And males are bigger which is why they need more.

CanadianJoeh
I don't breed.... And males are bigger which is why they need more.
They don't need more.

Rohit mess
Food was always a size issue for my bettas. Regular pellets were too big. Flakes are too messy.
I had to buy smaller pellets for all my bettas. HikarI micro pellets they have them at Petco and stuff. It’s the only thing they’ll eat really now.

Tip
If fed directly then my betta will eat n spit the pellets multiple times before swallowing it finally.
Soak couple of pellets for 5 mins before feeding. This softens it up pretty good and he will swallow it in first attempt.

They don't need more.
Generally speaking they will not need more. But IMHO the longer fins may tire out the male more and MAY need an extra pellet once every couple of days. This does make a bit of sense to me.
Just like it is with us humans, You work hard you need to eat more to stay in same shape.

Bry
Can we please some arguing about feeding? That isn't really helping me. Now that's he's in a 5 gallon can he have any tank mates? I noticed a lot of people with Bettas have a snail, should I get one? I'll update pictures once I get the live plants in

glenCOCO
Up to you, snails and shrimp would be your only options in a 5g. But either will work if your betta allows it. Some will eat and harass snails and shrimp and some will ignore them. Some will only mess with snails and some only shrimp. It all depends on the bettas personality. I have mine with cherry shrimp and it was a difficult start. She chased and hunted the shrimp for about 3 weeks but ignores them now and they’re out in the open with no issues. Started with 12 and have only counted up to 8-9 now. The rest could’ve been food or just hiding in places I can’t see.

CanadianFishFan
I'm gonna end this before a fight...

Psst I do it and they aren't bloated

CanadianJoeh
With a betta in a 5 Gallon you could have a snail or two, and if your betta is docile, perhaps a few shrimp.

Bry
Phantom's updated tank! I got him a couple live plants, a moss ball, a new filter (the other was too strong) and a snail friend. Said Nertile snail on the tank but I have no clue what kind. If he outgrows the tank I can always move him to the 55. He hid for a little while but he's out exploring. I think he likes it.

Attachments

• 20180308_192248.jpg
    20180308_192248.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 54
CanadianJoeh
Phantom's updated tank! I got him a couple live plants, a moss ball, a new filter (the other was too strong) and a snail friend. Said Nertile snail on the tank but I have no clue what kind. If he outgrows the tank I can always move him to the 55. He hid for a little while but he's out exploring. I think he likes it.
That is a tiger Nerite, he will stay relatively the same size as he is now

They're the best snail species because they don't reproduce in freshwater.

Bry
Yayy. I just liked the pretty shell, the rest of them were either forest green or rust colored

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Myyyman
Replies
Views
Bellaona
Replies
Views
sassymomma
Replies
Views