Anxiety Because Of Ammonia In Tap Water

  1. S

    Simone J New Member Member

    Hey there fellow fish hobbyists! Like everyone here, I absolutely LOVE my fish and would go to the ends of the earth for them to be happy and healthy. A few months ago, 5 of my goldfish(110 gallon outdoor pond with 3 Butterfly Telescopes, a small Black Moor, and a small Fantail) and a Betta(10 gallon inside tank) died from Ich. The Ich came in with the plants I bought(yes, I know, I know. I am an idiot for not giving them a bleach bath.). What really pushed the death of all the fish is the ammonia in my tap water(0.50 ppm). Even though I used Prime, it did not help anything. I made the mistake of going crazy with all these different chemicals by Seachem to treat the Ich and detoxify the ammonia. The bacteria in my tank obviously was not very well established even though I was constantly pouring in Seachem Stability. I had 2 of the biggest sponge filters in there. I ended up putting even 3 in there to give more surface area for the bacteria. It was a mess. After all the fish died, I ended up investing in an RODI unit. It is not a problem getting water for all my indoor tanks at all, but for my pond that I set up again, now that's a different story. I would like to be able to do large water changes there once a week, but it's not going to work out since it takes more than 2 hours for my unit to fill up a 5 gallon bottle. My overall question here is once I run the pond for a few months and have a nice large colony of bacteria, will I be able to start using tap water again with Prime? I have constant anxiety thinking about having such a huge and painful loss again. But it will take forever to accomplish at least a 50% WC with my RODI unit.
  2. BottomDweller

    BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

    The water I use for my ponds has 1ppm ammonia in it. I do very small water changes (about 10-20%) two or three times a week. This way only a little ammonia is going into the water and the bacteria can cope with it. Dosing Prime will help too.
  3. bopsalot

    bopsalot Well Known Member Member

    A mature biofilter should be able to deal with 0.5ppm ammonia, IMO. I think you will be fine. Good luck!