Anubis nana growing algae & clear edges

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got my anubis nana on Feb 5th 2020. Has grown many, many roots and a new leaf since. The rhizome is still firm and healthy too.I have it planted in my driftwood, only the longest root is touching substrate though. I use Flourish's liquid fertilizer & I have root tabs as well if needed for my Anubis, but I read it's not really necessary.

My problem is recently the biggest leaf started to get clear edges and growing tall, hair-like algae. I know anubias are low light so I have it in the corner, but the biggest leaf with algae sticks out under the light still.., the other leaves are in the shade. I'm guessing its growing algae from being right under the light? But my lights aren't that strong either I'd say, they are the basic ones that come with tanks from the store.

I'm concerned about the edges turning clear though ... would that be from the light? Or is it a deficiency? Should I clip the leaf off? I'd hate to clip it :( but won't the edges continue to just clear?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Resized_20200319_184309_8962.jpeg
Resized_20200319_184345_5751.jpeg

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yellowing from the tip/edge on down is a tale-tale sign of Nitrogen deficiency. Have you checked your nitrates level recently? If so, then what are your nitrates level?

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Yellowing from the tip/edge on down is a tale-tale sign of Nitrogen deficiency. Have you checked your nitrates level recently? If so, then what are your nitrates level?
My nitrates are stuck between 0ppm & 5ppm . They were above 80ppm during cycling , but all went away after a final WC and 25 added plants. I was told my nitrates are low from having a lot of plants in a small tank. Is there a product I can buy for the Anubis ?

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Blueberrybetta said:
My nitrates are stuck between 0ppm & 5ppm . They were above 80ppm during cycling , but all went away after a final WC and 25 added plants. I was told my nitrates are low from having a lot of plants in a small tank. Is there a product I can buy for the Anubis ?
You will most definitely want to add Nitrogen. Since you have a large plant mass, it'll consume Nitrogen very quickly. Do you feel comfortable going the dry fert way rather than liquid fert?

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
You will most definitely want to add Nitrogen. Since you have a large plant mass, it'll consume Nitrogen very quickly. Do you feel comfortable going the dry fert way rather than liquid fert?
Is dry fert roots tabs ? I have flourish root tabs and liquid ferts

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Is dry fert roots tabs ? I have flourish root tabs and liquid ferts
Dry ferts are the powdered form of liquid fertilizers. Dry ferts last a very long compared to the liquid form but it is slightly harder to dose. Root tabs are basically dry ferts in a capsule just in a solidified form. What liquid fert are you using?

OP
Blueberrybetta

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Dry ferts are the powdered form of liquid fertilizers. Dry ferts last a very long compared to the liquid form but it is slightly harder to dose. Root tabs are basically dry ferts in a capsule just in a solidified form. What liquid fert are you using?
I'm using the Seachem Flouish but I'm buying Thrive C , I heard its better

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Blueberrybetta said:
I'm using the Seachem Flouish but I'm buying Thrive C , I heard its better
If you look at the Seachem Flourish nutrient sheet, then you will see that macro nutrients (Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphate) are relatively low and not meant to support large plant masses alone which is why in their product line, they have separate concentrated macro liquid ferts. Nilocg Thrive C is perfect for large plant mass, low tech setup. If you dose liquid co2 or inject it, then you need to go with standard Thrive line.
Once you get Thrive C, go ahead and remove the anubias leaf that is withering away. It will not recover. I use Nilocg dry ferts so I have more control with my dosing and I also use their root tabs as well over Seachem. I no longer use Seachem fert line with the only exception being Flourish Advance and Excel.

New Threads