Anubias with large holes, Hygrophilia with small holes... not using any fertiliser

magentatooth

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have four tanks, and I don't use any fertiliser in any. I don't any special substrate (just gravel) Looking for advice for what to buy (UK)
They are:
130L planted with Anubias - has large holes in leaves, dark black algae and old leaves are yellowing. Well stocked tank.
130L planted with amazon swords - doing well, and anubias - doing ok, moderately stocked tank.
70L planted with hygrophilia (2 species) - small holes in leaves and growth stopped 1 month ago. Understocked (few baby swordtail and platy only)
12L planted with a few anubias (cuttings of the above) - doing well. Overstocked with many pink ramshorn snails.

I'll attach photos of each. I have attached two photos of the first tank anubias and one of the 70L tank hygrophilia.
I think I need root tabs and liquid fertiliser.

NB water testing not useful currently as I just moved all my tanks (and moved house) and did a 95% -100% water change on all of them (gulp) and all these problems were pre-existing. Luckily no fish died yet!

Would be very grateful for any advice!

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see multiple nutrient deficiencies in your plants. Especially apparent are potassium, phosphate, iron, nitrogen, and even magnesium which is just a trace element.

TrI'm off anything dead or damaged because the leaf cannot repair the tissue. Also start dosing a good comprehensive all-in-one fertilizer with macros (nitrogen, potassium, phosphate) and trace elements. Once the old damaged growth is gone and you start dosing, you should see drastic improvements in the new growth from your plants.

OP
M

magentatooth

Reaction score
Fahn said:
I see multiple nutrient deficiencies in your plants. Especially apparent are potassium, phosphate, iron, nitrogen, and even magnesium which is just a trace element.

TrI'm off anything dead or damaged because the leaf cannot repair the tissue. Also start dosing a good comprehensive all-in-one fertilizer with macros (nitrogen, potassium, phosphate) and trace elements. Once the old damaged growth is gone and you start dosing, you should see drastic improvements in the new growth from your plants.
Thanks very much, could you recommend an all in one with macros in it?

Fish4848

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
magentatooth said:
Dear All,

I have four tanks, and I don't use any fertiliser in any. I don't any special substrate (just gravel) Looking for advice for what to buy (UK)
They are:
130L planted with Anubias - has large holes in leaves, dark black algae and old leaves are yellowing. Well stocked tank.
130L planted with amazon swords - doing well, and anubias - doing ok, moderately stocked tank.
70L planted with hygrophilia (2 species) - small holes in leaves and growth stopped 1 month ago. Understocked (few baby swordtail and platy only)
12L planted with a few anubias (cuttings of the above) - doing well. Overstocked with many pink ramshorn snails.

I'll attach photos of each. I have attached two photos of the first tank anubias and one of the 70L tank hygrophilia.
I think I need root tabs and liquid fertiliser.

NB water testing not useful currently as I just moved all my tanks (and moved house) and did a 95% -100% water change on all of them (gulp) and all these problems were pre-existing. Luckily no fish died yet!

Would be very grateful for any advice!
Do not bury the rhizomes of the anubias. (rhizomes are the things that look like roots)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
magentatooth said:
Thanks all - do you think Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement has enough in it? Was planning to use it with root sticks.
From what i've heard go around on the forum Flourish only has trace minerals and you are better getting something like Thrive or Aquarium Co-Op easy green.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Since you are in the UK and Thrive and Easy green are likely not available to you, try Aquascaper Liquid Plant Food. Aquarium Gardens should sell it, check out their shop on youtube and George Farmer's youtube channel, also UK based and extremely informative!

OP
M

magentatooth

Reaction score
-Mak- said:
Since you are in the UK and Thrive and Easy green are likely not available to you, try Aquascaper Liquid Plant Food. Aquarium Gardens should sell it, check out their shop on youtube and George Farmer's youtube channel, also UK based and extremely informative!
thank you for the tip :)!

New Threads