Anubias & other plants float on surface 120 Gallon Tank

1. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I gave up with trying to get a lot of my plants to grow. I have one plants that grows in the substrate.... really long thin leaves, but can't remember its name. Anyway, I decided to just let my Anubias, Wisteria and any other plant just float on the surface. I add fertilizer to the water and I must say they look great. The smaller fish spend hours 'foraging' in the floating garden and all the plants have roots that hang down which looks pretty too.
    I wondered if anyone else just let their plants float on the surface. My Pearl Gouramis like to hide in there and on tank maintenance day I scoop the whole lot out and prune any dead or mushy leaves off. I have huge anubias now and they seem to love their strange environment. :;tg

2. kimoore Member Member

which tank of yours do you have the floating plants?

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds nice. And where are the pictures hummm?
    Carol

4. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

Yes, well, about those pictures....... lost my camera on my 50th birthday in the restaurant!! :(so will need to replace it, and Kat, my floating plants are in my 120 gallon tank.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Guppy Grass grows really well if you just let it float!

6. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

Never heard of Guppy Grass.... off I go to Google it!!
    Ah, that is really pretty stuff. Wonder if my LFS has it, looks like Shrimp like it too.

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I know several people have for sale here on the forum.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds great Denise!

9. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

10. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

I let some of the tiny baby water sprites float in my bigger tank, looks really good with all the roots hanging down, wish I had more! The other plants just sit on the bottom.

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Guppy grass = Najas guadalupensis.