Anubias Nana

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello! I recently saw a thread, and it makes me want to get closer to live plants again, I have dreaded them for too long and would like to try it again. I want to look into getting a small anubias plant at my local store.

I have a 2.5 gallon that I will be planting small plants in until I feel confident.
What do I need to do in terms of basically caring for the plant? I have black sand substrate and some spare Seachem root tabs from the last planting job that my brother did.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Root tabs won’t do much for the anubias as they don’t root in substrate. They’re better off tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. They get their fertilizers from the water column. When I had my anubias it did perfectly fine without any added fertilizers, but if you feel like you should use some, I would get a liquid type. I would stay away from Seachem Flourish Excel though. It’s extremely easy to over dose, especially in small tanks. Any time I used it I experienced nothing but issues (cleared up my algae though hahah).

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BReefer97 said:
Root tabs won’t do much for the anubias as they don’t root in substrate. They’re better off tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. They get their fertilizers from the water column. When I had my anubias it did perfectly fine without any added fertilizers, but if you feel like you should use some, I would get a liquid type. I would stay away from Seachem Flourish Excel though. It’s extremely easy to over dose, especially in small tanks. Any time I used it I experienced nothing but issues (cleared up my algae though hahah).
Okay!
I do have Seachem Flourish that I certainly can use.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fanatic said:
Okay!
I do have Seachem Flourish that I certainly can use.
Like I said, seachem flourish is good, but I find it really hard to dose the proper amount in small tanks. I tried using it for my 5 gallon tank but my fish started having numerous problems, and eventually ended up passing away. I think it was due to my own fault as it says on the bottle in huge, bold letters “DO NOT OVERDOSE.” Just be very very careful in how much you need to dose! I only ever used a few drops so I’m not sure what the dosing for a 2.5 gallon tank would be.

Edit: I’ve been trying to get my hands on this fertilizer (picture included) but my rescue snail ate all of my new plants in less than a week of having them so...I have to get more plants first. He wasn’t fed very much apparently.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom