anubias nana vs. anubias barteri

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Broq15, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Broq15New MemberMember

What's the difference? I have them both and it seems like barteri have smaller, rounder leaves....

But online websites market them as the same. They are different, right?

2. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

Anubias barteri var barteri is the same plant species as Anubias barteri var nana. What changes is the size shape of leaves. Nana is a variety (like a subspecies). Most Anubias sold in the trade are indeed barteri (although not always listed as such).

If you get a Anubias barteri var barteri and place it in low brackish water, it will likely shrink to an even smaller size than the nana. More like Anubias barteri var petite. Same results are obtained if you place it under a 7W tiny incandescent bulb.

The nomenclature is unclear. All of them adapt to extreme low light. Even to incandescent 15-25W bulb. They do well in high light but are prone to develop algae in their hardy leaves if the delicate balance of temperature-lighting (both quality and quantity wise)-CO2-Nutrients (both micro and macro) is disrupted.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. Broq15New MemberMember

Muchas gracias para tu explicaci'on!

Also, are you referring to brown algae and diatoms, or green algae developing on its leaves?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

My anubias nana has smaller leaves. About the size of a dime. My Anubias Barteri have larger flater leaves.
    carol

5. ilikefishValued MemberMember

??? The size of a dime? I believe your speaking of anubias petite... right? My anubias nana has leaves the size of a quarter on almost all leaves... And my Barteri has even bigger leaves... Unless I was lied to at the LFS : (

6. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I looked at it again and I believe your right it may be a nana petite :)
    Carol

7. ilikefishValued MemberMember

Ok yay! I didn't get the wrong plants! lol just checking : )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice