anubias nana vs. anubias barteri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broq15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's the difference? I have them both and it seems like barteri have smaller, rounder leaves....

But online websites market them as the same. They are different, right?

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anubias barteri var barteri is the same plant species as Anubias barteri var nana. What changes is the size shape of leaves. Nana is a variety (like a subspecies). Most Anubias sold in the trade are indeed barteri (although not always listed as such).

If you get a Anubias barteri var barteri and place it in low brackish water, it will likely shrink to an even smaller size than the nana. More like Anubias barteri var petite. Same results are obtained if you place it under a 7W tiny incandescent bulb.

The nomenclature is unclear. All of them adapt to extreme low light. Even to incandescent 15-25W bulb. They do well in high light but are prone to develop algae in their hardy leaves if the delicate balance of temperature-lighting (both quality and quantity wise)-CO2-Nutrients (both micro and macro) is disrupted.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

OP
B

Broq15

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Muchas gracias para tu explicaci'on!

Also, are you referring to brown algae and diatoms, or green algae developing on its leaves?

Last edited by a moderator:

ilikefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My anubias nana has smaller leaves. About the size of a dime. My Anubias Barteri have larger flater leaves.
carol
??? The size of a dime? I believe your speaking of anubias petite... right? My anubias nana has leaves the size of a quarter on almost all leaves... And my Barteri has even bigger leaves... Unless I was lied to at the LFS : (

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
??? The size of a dime? I believe your speaking of anubias petite... right? My anubias nana has leaves the size of a quarter on almost all leaves... And my Barteri has even bigger leaves... Unless I was lied to at the LFS : (
I looked at it again and I believe your right it may be a nana petite
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom