Anubias Left Unattached? Question

1. h

helpmyfishplease Initiate Member

Will anubias grow if left floating? If not, would you share what you attach yours with and how tightly it is supposed to be attached? Just knocked mine off the "attached" rock with a water change and am wondering if I need to reattach it and if so, how? Thanks! :)

2. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

It will still grow if unattached, but you can attach it to rocks or wood in the following ways
    1. wedge it between rocks/wood and allow the roots to secure themselves to the rocks/wood.
    2. Use thread or fishing twine to secure the plant to a rock or wood
    3. Use Super Glue gel to secure it. You only need a small dap to secure the plant to wood.

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

If you leave it floating make sure it stays upright so the leaves grow towards the light with the rest of the leaves, some anubias will latch onto things and grow roots into objects (i have an anubias tree that the bottom anubias latched a root into the wood and was holding itself on the tree without needing to be tied down).

4. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I just wedge mine between rocks. They grow very nicely. Already have some new leaves coming in! Some of the leaves are still recovering from the blue crayfish I added to the tank. Had to get rid of him.

Attached Files:

5. BettaJazzHands

BettaJazzHands Initiate Member

I have one floating in my large tank to allow my Betta a resting spot near the surface, but otherwise the rest are glued on with a dab of gel based superglue to rocks or driftwood. I have one glued anubias that is about five years old now, and absolutely massive.