Anubias leaves turning yellow

Girlsbeforefish

My anubias leaves are turning yellow. 2 leaves from my anubias nana and 1 leaf from my barteri. I don't know what's wrong. I started dosing flourish iron because I heard iron deficiency leads to yellow leaves? Or was it potassium. I don't know. Also, the leaves are turning yellow. The veins are still green if that has something to do with it

robbert69

I not quite sh our look up c02 tablets.. u can place them in tanks feed the plants that way >>> and aeroponics propagation thy use them all the time instead of air stones in the water but don't take my ward for it look it up I don't want to be the culprit to finish your plants of lets Hope this works.. by the way thy sell c02 tablets in your fish shop maybe them in the shop will no.. good luck sorry forgot to ad leav the lights on longer are get brighter lights

AlyeskaGirl

Below I put a great link on info for deficiencies.

Could be iron or potassium. Maybe both. Do you dose with Flourish? That has a bit of everything in it and then you can dose potassium and then iron if needed but you should pickup an iron test kit.

What is your lighting?

I'm not a plant keeping expert. I've stepped up a bit with it recently.

Girlsbeforefish

Robbert - My lights are fine in my opinion. 40 watts of T-8 bulbs on a 20 long.
Alyeska - I do dose with flourish and excel. I'm guessing I should dose potassium?

robbert69

Robbert - My lights are fine in my opinion. 40 watts of T-8 bulbs on a 20 long.
Alyeska - I do dose with flourish and excel. I'm guessing I should dose potassium?

yes lights are good

catsma_97504

Anubias are low light plants. Are they shaded at all?

As for what is in shortage, I'd test KH to make sure there is enough magnesium. If the magnesium level is at least 4 degrees, then I'd suspect a shortage in trace elements.

Girlsbeforefish

No they are not shaded. I don't see why they should be? Wouldnt higher lighting make them grow faster? My other anubias are doing fine so I don't think that's the problem.
Ill take my water to the LFS to get my KH tested.

catsma_97504

Just like with your garden plants, they need appropriate lighting. You wouldn't stick a shade plant in a sunny location in your garden. The leaves could turn yellow, then die back if getting too much light.

Girlsbeforefish

So what do you suggest I do? I don't think I have a way of shading them from the light.

catsma_97504

Place them to the edges of the tank where the light is usually weakest. Do not place them high and in the center of the tank, unless you have a low light tank. Another option is to place them near taller plants or decor. The taller items will diffuse/shade the plants.

Girlsbeforefish

I have two light fixtures on my tank though. So I don't think there's a weak spot. The leave is all yellow now and part of it is turning brown. I think ill just rip it off and see how it goes. If another leave turns yellow ill reduce my lights I guess.

catsma_97504

So, the leaf began turning yellow, but the veins remained green. And, now the entire leaf is yellow and beginning to turn brown? If so, then I'd look at the micro elements.

You stated that you began dosing Flourish Iron, but what about other plant ferts? What are you dosing? With 2 WPG T8 lighting, your tank needs a balanced plant food and CO2 supplementation to keep your plants healthy.

Girlsbeforefish

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't check this thread because I thought It was over . LOL your dedication! I dose flourish excel and comprehensive. That's pretty balanced right?

catsma_97504

Yep. You have all the bases covered.

Hope your plants do better very soon.

schmath

What does it mean if some of my anubias leaves are turning yellow, then brown, then dying? And my java ferns have black spots and black stems and are slowly dying off after growing baby java ferns?
IMG_6422.JPG
IMG_6423.JPG

Whatisacanada

Are you using any plant nutrient supplements in your tank? I had the same problem when I first planted my tank because I didn't use flourish or anything and I just had a sand tank.
The black spots are pretty normal for me, I just trim the leaves every once in a while. If you have black spots only on the edges of a leaf you can cut it off of the leaf and it will usually be fine

schmath

I’m using Thrive, but maybe not enough. I’ll try increasing it.

Whatisacanada

I’m using Thrive, but maybe not enough. I’ll try increasing it.
When I first realized that I needed to be adding ferts I started adding a dose of flourish a day until the plants became healthy again. Higher dosing will likely be okay for your tank, just make sure that your water levels remain normal

Lynn78too

Maybe also get root tabs

Annubias and java fern won't benefit from root tabs as their roots don't actually go into the substrate.

Unless... When you planted then, did you put them into the substrate? Anubias shouldn't have their rhizome (the part that the leaves grow out of) planted into the substrate or they will eventually die. The same is true for java fern, you should not bury the roots of java fern.

Assuming they were planted correctly, I would try dosing them with phosphorous in addition to what you're using.

Gourami36

Annubias and java fern won't benefit from root tabs as their roots don't actually go into the substrate.

Unless... When you planted then, did you put them into the substrate? Anubias shouldn't have their rhizome (the part that the leaves grow out of) planted into the substrate or they will eventually die. The same is true for java fern, you should not bury the roots of java fern.

Assuming they were planted correctly, I would try dosing them with phosphorous in addition to what you're using.
What about anubias congensis? I have it’s roots planted in the substrate and it’s fine. I’ve never had java ferns before

Bryangar

What about anubias congensis? I have it’s roots planted in the substrate and it’s fine. I’ve never had java ferns before
Notice they said “Rhizome” and not roots Anubias and ferns can have their roots buried, just not the rhizome, they will eventually rot.

Gourami36

Notice they said “Rhizome” and not roots Anubias and ferns can have their roots buried, just not the rhizome, they will eventually rot.
Sorry my bad

Lynn78too

Anubias all have rhizomes, it may be that you didn't bury it when you planted it although I once had one that survived for quite some time before I realized what I had done. When I pulled it up and attached it to some wood it finally started to grow. If your plant is alive, it's probably not going to grow since new leaf growth comes from the rhizome growing long and leaves coming out from it. If the rhizome is in the substrate it will not be able to grow.

Gourami36

Anubias all have rhizomes, it may be that you didn't bury it when you planted it although I once had one that survived for quite some time before I realized what I had done. When I pulled it up and attached it to some wood it finally started to grow. If your plant is alive, it's probably not going to grow since new leaf growth comes from the rhizome growing long and leaves coming out from it. If the rhizome is in the substrate it will not be able to grow.
My rhizome was in the substrate and it grew several leaves. I just took it out

Bryangar

Op, A baby fern coming from the leaf is how they propagate, this usually happens when the plant is under stress, so it sends out a new plants. That looks normal for them.

Which version of thrive do you use? What is your nitrate reading? How much Thrive do you dose? how often?

schmath

Op, A baby fern coming from the leaf is how they propagate, this usually happens when the plant is under stress, so it sends out a new plants. That looks normal for them.

Which version of thrive do you use? What is your nitrate reading? How much Thrive do you dose? how often?

I just use the regular Thrive. My nitrates are at 5 and I dose .25 ml once per week in my 5.5 gallon tank. It's pretty lightly planted, so I didn't want to overdo it, but it sounds like .25 is too low. So maybe I should dose twice per week? It only gets 5 hours of light per day. I can increase that too, but I was getting diatoms, so I lowered it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Madelon
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
fishman'iac
Replies
Views