Anubias: I never knew it would flower ... until now.

mikead

I never knew it would flower ... until now.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Nice. I didn’t know that either

ProudPapa

I never knew it would flower ... until now.

Yup. If it's really happy you might get two blooms. This is one of the assorted anubias I got from Mcasella a year or so ago.

TClare

Very nice! Just wondering what sort of water you have? I have just one Anubias plant, they are pretty expensive here. I have had it well over a year and it has had about one new leaf in all that time. Other plants do well for me. Is this because I have vey soft water?

carsonsgjs

I still fondly remember the day when I first got a flower on an anubias. I ordered some plants online, they turned up in the post and when I opened the box one had a little flower on it. Never seen one since.

TClare for me personally, there’s no rhyme or reason. I have about 6 different species of anubias and some do well, some don’t and some fall somewhere in the middle. Even when in the same tank, some individual plants from the same species do better than others.

Coradee

Yup. If it's really happy you might get two blooms.
And if it’s really really happy you might get 3 blooms :D
You must be registered to see images

Mikead, it must like whatever you’re doing with your tank :)
Mine was in an unlit tank with just natural daylight, it was fastened to wood. They really don’t take a lot of looking after, minimal disturbance no extra ferts just regular tank maintenance.

ProudPapa

Very nice! Just wondering what sort of water you have? I have just one Anubias plant, they are pretty expensive here. I have had it well over a year and it has had about one new leaf in all that time. Other plants do well for me. Is this because I have vey soft water?

My water is hard, with pH at 8.2, but I don't think anubias requires that.

mikead

The tank takes tap water - neither hard nor soft in my area. A few years ago, tied of non-stop fighting with the hair algae, I removed all gravels from the tank, so that I can vacuum-clean poops/debris from the bottom each week. Since then I've had crystal clear water and almost never need to wipe the glass.

Because of lacking gravel, the tank has only a few low-maintenance plants including Corkscrew Val (potted), Subwassertang, Amazon Frogbit, Marimo Moss Ball, Coontail, Java Moss, Java Fern, and of course, Anubias, which is attached to a decor (fig tree root) and receives moderate light.

I've had the Anubias for 3 years and it has grown to many times of its original size, but I never expected it to flower.

Rose of Sharon

Wow, so jealous! I've had mine for about 7 months now, and I may have one or two new leaves which are very tiny! You must be doing something right!!! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Koneko
Replies
Views
Repolie
Replies
Views
SteveMc
  • Question