Anubias Fungus?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by TiqToq, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TiqToqValued MemberMember

To make a long story short, I thought I had planted my anubias with enough of the rhizome exposed, but the roots on some began to turn fuzzy. After about a week of watching this and realizing what might be the root cause (ba dum tsch) I lifted the plants further out of the gravel so the rhizome is completely exposed or the plant is just floating in the tank. I was wondering how harmful this fuzz is. It's been in the tank a few weeks, and I just took to cutting most of the fuzzy roots I could manage off. It appears most of the leaves and stems are doing alright. I've only lost a few leaves.

When I add water or move the plants around the fuzzy substance comes out, and until the filter clears it up I worry about my betta fish. She's doing fine, but I don't want her to be in a harmful environment. The tank is currently in the process of cycling too, so I don't want to disrupt that if I have to combat this as an issue.

You can see one of the affected roots in the background of this prior photo.

[​IMG]

2. Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

I feel like its diatoms.. you mentioned your tank is cycling. Diatoms are most common when tanks are cycling. The picture unclear a better one would be appreciated

3. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Can you just place a net around it, remove it, and rinse it off?
    Diatoms are brown, caused by excess silicates in water column. Happens a lot in new tanks, not due to cycling though. However, doesnt sound from description like what you are describing... agreed a better picture would help (from side of tank plant is on).
    It does sound like a fungus that appears from excess food in the tank (round fuzzy balls) but if it's on the roots... maybe food caught in there? If the plant came in rockwool or tissue culture gel, did you remove it all before planting?

4. TiqToqValued MemberMember

Ufortunately I removed the trouble spots and only have one other picture with it in frame from before. The bottom right shows one of the roots which indeed does appear brown. I rinsed the plants thoroughly to remove the gel they came in, but it is possible some was still on it.

[​IMG]