Anubias Barteri - What do I do with this plant?

Leeman75

I got an Anubias Barteri about 8 months ago and really loved it because it was very healthy and had big beautiful leaves. Here, I am 8 months later, and the 3 leaves left on it are lighter in color with some of the leaves slowly yellowing and melting away. I've been kind of assuming that it's just the life cycle of the leaves. If it were another plant, say like a sword, I would trim the bad leaves so that the other leaves will grow better. But I have no other leaves. Just these three. There are shoot-like tendrils that have grown out of the plant and into the ground, but that's it.

I love this plant and it's in a very prominent place in my tank. What can I do to encourage growth? I fertilize with Thrive C. Do I need to increase lighting? There are also some Barteri that I have near the top of the large driftwood and they are fantastic. Deep green and thriving. I currently have my lights on about 6 hours a day. I can up it, but those big leaves are like magnets for algae and I'm afraid that I'll be shooting myself in the foot with that move.

Please help!!

The plant in question is the one in the middle right of the first picture and dead center in the second. In the second picture, you can kind of see the other Barteri that are doing well at the top of the driftwood.

20210403_140720.jpg
20210403_140732.jpg

MacZ

Can you please take a close-up pic of the rhizome? I have suspiscion, but the pictures aren't helping.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Can you please take a close-up pic of the rhizome? I have suspiscion, but the pictures aren't helping.

I'll take them in a little bit when the lights come on. Standby...

Upvote 0

MacZ

I'll take them in a little bit when the lights come on. Standby...

Take your time. I'm at least 8 hours ahead of you.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

What types of fertilizers are you using.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

How often do you use Thrive? Do you use any other fertilizers?

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I do one pump daily on the Thrive C. There are some Niloc ThriveCaps in the tank. I believe that I placed one in the substrate near where those shoots go in the ground a couple months back.

Here's a few better pictures:

AB3.jpg
AB2.jpg
AB.jpg

Upvote 0

MacZ

As I thought, parts of the rhizome are rotting. I'd take it out and try to cut off the rot. After that keep it in a container with lights for a week or two, before putting it back.

As the plant is absolutely undemanding I doubt any defficiencies are the reason for what you see.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

As I thought, parts of the rhizome are rotting. I'd take it out and try to cut off the rot. After that keep it in a container with lights for a week or two, before putting it back.

As the plant is absolutely undemanding I doubt any defficiencies are the reason for what you see.

Really appreciate it! What exactly am I looking for to cut out? I'm so inexperienced with plants.

Also, when I keep it in a container, do you mean without water? Also, if with water, do I add ferts to the water?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Everything, black, brown and mushy has to go. Can't tell how much that will be in the end. If you are lucky it's not much.

No, just tankwater. Again, this plant doesn't need much besides normal tapwater and some light.

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Everything, black, brown and mushy has to go. Can't tell how much that will be in the end. If you are lucky it's not much.

No, just tankwater. Again, this plant doesn't need much besides normal tapwater and some light.

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Leeman75

I finally was able to do this today. Got rid of quite a bit of black, brown, and mushy, but there was still a lot left. I was super surprised at how much roots there were that went from about 3" up on a piece of driftwood and was several inches underground.

Check out the length of these roots! (Don't mind the massively high Nitrates in the background. I need to cut back on the fertilizer. At least those were pre-WC readings).

20210410_144318.jpg
20210410_144341.jpg

Upvote 0

Leeman75

Ok, so I have a question for this. When I got to set up the Anubias again in the tank, what do I do with these llloooonnngggg roots? As you can see in the picture above, they are at least 6" just with the white part. The green part is another 3". My substrate is only a couple inches at best and there are other plants that I really don't want to uproot by getting those white roots in the substrate.

Should I trim those? At what place on the plant do I trim each root?

Upvote 0

MacZ

You can just trim them, no problem. Leave a few centimeters (like 5-10) of root left.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

I just put those root under the gravel. Tuck them in were they fit. It’s the thick rhymizone that needs to be above the gravel

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question
Replies
Views
Msdp11009
  • Question
Replies
Views