10 Gallon Tank Anubias Barteri leaves turning black

LCVVT

I feel like I must be a bad tank mom as one thing after another seems to go wrong with this little tank. I superglued three Anubias Barteri to driftwood and tied some java moss onto the driftwood as well. All were doing fine for a while. Then the tank got brown algae. That cleared. The Rummy Nosed Tetras got ick. That resolved with higher temp and API Super Ick Cure. Then the tank got green hair algae, so API Algaefix is being used as directed. Now the Anubias, which had been sprouting new leaves, are dying.

The substrate is Eco-Complete. I've been adding Aquarium Co-op Easy Green All in One Fertilizer and have sunk a few root tabs. There is CO2 being added at the rate of 1 bubble per second. The light is a Finnex 24/7 that is full on for 12 hours and uses the default cycle for the other 12.

The pictures aren't great but I tried to get a couple of each plant. I've trimmed back the leaves on all three and Plant 3 currently has no leaves. The rhizomes aren't soft and from all appearances seem healthy. It's hard to see any roots on Plants 1 and 3, but the roots on Plant 2 are obvious and to my (inexperienced) eye seem fine.

Should I cut back all the leaves and see if the rhizomes push out new growth or would it be better to ditch these plants and start with new ones? Does having the moss so close to the Anubias cause a problem? All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Plant1_1.jpg
    Plant1_1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 26
  • Plant1_2.jpg
    Plant1_2.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Plant1_3.jpg
    Plant1_3.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Plant2_1.jpg
    Plant2_1.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Plant2_2.jpg
    Plant2_2.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Plant2_3.jpg
    Plant2_3.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Plant3_1.jpg
    Plant3_1.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 24

SnookusFish

Its black beard algae growing on the leaves. Anubias are slow growers and therefore very prone to algae. This is prob one of the most annoying algae put there. Get some clithon corona snails aka horned nerites and they will eat it.

Upvote 0

Seamus111

Also more water movement helps too. I had BBA, Black beard algae..... it's awful. I see a wee bit here and there. I remove the leaves that are infested. Also turning off the lights for a few days can help. A Hydrogen peroxide dip for your plants and hardscape can really help. Look it up on youtube...... Good luck!

Upvote 0

LCVVT

Also more water movement helps too. I had BBA, Black beard algae..... it's awful. I see a wee bit here and there. I remove the leaves that are infested. Also turning off the lights for a few days can help. A Hydrogen peroxide dip for your plants and hardscape can really help. Look it up on youtube...... Good luck!
Thank you.
Its black beard algae growing on the leaves. Anubias are slow growers and therefore very prone to algae. This is prob one of the most annoying algae put there. Get some clithon corona snails aka horned nerites and they will eat it.
Thank you.

I have a couple of regular Nerites in there already. I'm thinking those are not sufficient or I wouldn't have the problem, but does the type of Nerite matter? (I can't tell from the information online.)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Msdp11009
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
86 ssinit