Anubias And Java Fern

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by mccann1987, Jul 30, 2017.

1. mccann1987

mccann1987 Valued Member Member

Hi I'm looking for some suggestions on what to attach to my drift wood( the piece in the middle). I have posted some pictures so you can get an idea of what it looks like. I was thinking to maybe tie some java Moss to the thick middle stem bit.

I have another piece to the left which has some anubias tied to it.

Would I need fertiliser for the anubias and some java Moss. If so seeing as they won't be in substrate what's the best way to fertilise them. I did read they are both hardy and can tolerate a wide range of conditions and don't necessarily need fertilisers.

I have 10neon tetra, 5wcmm, 1 dwarf gourami, 4 amano shrimp and 1 nerite snail. It's a 23g long. Has a 18w led light, light temperature 6500K. Light on for 3hours in morning and 3 hours in the evening. Tank been running for 7months.

Also I'm considering changing the substrate to fine black gravel.
    Do you think it would look good or would you keep it as is?

Thank you.

20170730_180427.jpg 20170730_180423.jpg 20170730_180401.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

Java moss would be neat and it's easy to care for to boot. That's a really interesting piece of driftwood too...

Anubias is such a slow grower (and hardy), but it won't hurt it or the moss to add some ferts. :) Anubias has a rhizome and will feed from the roots that grow from it - in will take nutrients from the water since it's attached to driftwood.

Liquid ferts like Seachem Flourish are easy to dose and added to the water one or twice weekly (in your case, once a week at half dose might work, you just have to try things out).

Black gravel is snazzy, but changing substrate is such a hassle... Once something is set up, I'm not one to change (because I'm lazy lol).

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    mccann1987

Ok thank you for the reply. I run Activated Carbon which I replace every month do you think this would absorb the plant fertilizer and are the shrimp and nerite snail ok with liquid plant ferts.

4. Meowmy

Meowmy New Member Member

The whole carbon absorbing nutrients has been an ongoing thing, but many say plants will absorb it faster than the carbon (and should be okay). I don't use carbon though, so I can't give my opinion...

As long as you don't overdose, your invertebrates should be fine - I dose Seachem Flourish and my three Amano shrimp are a-okay. :)

5. OP
    OP
    mccann1987

ok thanks. yes I think I will get some normal liquid fert and dose small and see how it goes. The anubias and java fern don't need much nutrients to grow and the little extra added nutrients from the liquid ferts should help it on its way.
    Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice