Anubias Algae? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by ToCkSiC, May 19, 2018.

1. ToCkSiC

ToCkSiCValued MemberMember

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I'm in need of some advice or answers, one of my Anubias leaves has started growing black mould looking stuff on it, I have read that it could be just Algae but in the last 12 hours it has got a lot worse so I just want to make sure it's not diseased or anything.

The first picture was taken last night and the second picture was taken about an hour ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
  2. dinosaur act

dinosaur actValued MemberMember

looks like rot/melt to me, how long have you had this plant?

3. OP
    OP
    ToCkSiC

5 days, is it something I should be concerned about? or something I should cut off?

4. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

Go ahead and remove it. It will probably be ok. It's when the stem goes brown and rots that you have to worry.

5. dinosaur act

Sort of, it is pretty much your plant adjusting to your water parameters, as long as your rizone doesn't start to melt it should be okay. if your rizone dose begin to melt you will need to cut off the melting part of the rizone in hope of saving the rest of the plant. I have had to do this a few times with some success, other time I have had whole Anubias plants melt in to mush. if you do lose all your leaves and the rizone is in good nik it will start growing new leaves. Time will tell weather or not your plant will be okay, Anubias can take quite a while before whole plants rot.

It will probably be best to remove the melting leaves, you can cut these off or snap then (I prefer to cut).

I'm afraid to say your plant will get worse before it gets better, hope it work out tho!

6. OP
    OP
    ToCkSiC

Ok appreciate the advice, any reason why this happened? Something I did or didn't do?

7. OP
    OP
    ToCkSiC

Ok currently it only that leaf but the stem is getting a little more yellow so I think I will cut it off, is their any reason why this happened? I did some research on the Anubias so I knew about not burying anything and have it tied to something, I'm currently day 6 in with 'zero' readings across the board, would that have something to do with it?

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated

8. dinosaur act

It is due to change in parameters from the growers tank to yours, they may run a tank of 6.6ph yours may be 7.6 its pretty much the plant going in to shock just like a fish would (ph is not the only parameter which can effect plants). The plant could of also have been grow out of water in this case melt its pretty much guaranteed. May of not liked being shipped if it came by post.

high levels of ammonia can be harmful to plants just like it is to fish but id be surprised if this is the cause of the melt in your case as your at 0's.

You will need a bit of nitrogen in your tank as it is one of the macro nutrients (NPK{nitrogen/potassium/phosphate) your plant will need it to grow. Your cycle should provide plenty for an Anubias tho.

no problem!

(p.s sorry for slow replies not the strongest of writers)

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    ToCkSiC

Ah yes I didn't even think about the parameters of the LFS, that makes some sense now.

Well currently I'm 6 days in and have had no reading of ammonia despite having 2 guppies in there, which isn't much of a bioload so I'm told, so hopefully the Anubias isn't being starved of anything..

The link to my tank journey is in my signature so feel free to go across and point out anything you think I am doing wrong etc.

Otherwise thank you for your help! Much appreciated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice