Ants on aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by codyrex97, Jun 27, 2016.

1. codyrex97

codyrex97Well Known MemberMember

So my house has ant trouble every summer. They come inside to escape the heat and find food and water. So they're drinking water from my aquarium. Of course I don't wanna spray ant spray near the aquarium so, what can I do? I think I'll try and find the line and follow it further where they're coming from and spray there?

2. sunshine2012

sunshine2012Valued MemberMember

Maybe you can try diatomaceous earth, it's non toxic and comes in a powder. I think you can get it from a pool place. Maybe ant traps or fly paper? Not sure what to do, maybe someone else has some other ideas.

3. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Does the ant spray kill on contact? If not I wouldn't spray at all because they'll just track it to your tank.

I would track them to their origin and then clean the space in between to erase their scent trail.

4. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

I thought of that too. It does kill on contact but not sure if it stays very strong for a long while so I am weary about using it.

5. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918Well Known MemberMember

What about using baby powder or cinnamon around your tank.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  6. OP
    OP
    codyrex97

I'll try that out!

7. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Borax is supposed to work, too;)

8. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I've used grits and corn meal, works well. Grits make the ants explode when they drink(your problem is that they are drinking) and cornmeal clogs them up. They love corn meal and believe they like grits too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice