Ants in my filter

Wolfgang8810
has anyone else experienced this? they are little tiny amber colored and they have white eggs. I'm taking my filter media out and putting it in my tank then ill wash them all away. I knocked some in my tank I think my fish will enjoy them

pistorta
I have never seen such a thing...

MagpieTear
Free live food! You'd pay a small fortune at the LFS for those...

Allie
We have little red ants all over our tanks...but it's b/c our building has ants. I haven't noticed them in the filter..I don't clean them.

Wolfgang8810
out of my 5 tanks this is the only one that has them. I think I may have got some of the sugar from my yeast reactor on it

COBettaCouple
first time i've seen ants in a filter, but yea I guess the sugar would draw them.

manjil
Well, I don't really know about it and I would like to ask a question...

Wouldn't there be any problem if we let the fish eat the ants ??

As per as my knowledge some ants have acids in them. highly toxic!!

Ple help me out.

Wolfgang8810
I dunno theywere taken care of before I added my barbs

COBettaCouple
I wouldn't recommend the ants as food.. there is that chance of toxins plus parasites, disease, etc.

sirdarksol
Yes, most ants have toxins (in fact, poison dart frogs are so horribly poisonous because of the ants they eat. If they stop eating ants, they are no longer poisonous. You could probably eat the frogs at your local zoo with little ill effect, though I wouldn't suggest trying).
I would try to clean up the ants and get as few of them in the water as possible. I doubt that a few of them would hurt the fish.

Wolfgang8810
they were pushed into the water but then scooped out with a cup long before my fish went in.

Allie
out of my 5 tanks this is the only one that has them. I think I may have got some of the sugar from my yeast reactor on it
That definitely could be the attraction.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
5 Gallon Tank White stuff on filter?
Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
Dave125g
  • Question
Replies
Views