Antisocial Rummynose.

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have five rummynose at the moment. Previously four out of a batch of eight, four died the first two days when introduced into the tank. The only social Rummynose is the newest one, the others hang out in the back corner of the tank avoiding all the action by the other fish. I don't know what to do. When I change the water they shoal around but don't school, that is about as much action that goes on. Now I am hesitant to add more because I run the risk of overstocking the 20 gallons as well as the risk of ending up with a bunch of antisocial fish that don't even bother schooling around the tank. Any ideas?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As long as they're healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. You won't see much shoaling or schooling behavior inside a glass box.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe if you added a few more? I don't know what else you have in the tank, so I don't know if there's room.

I'm surprised you lost that many. I assume your tank is cycled?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't kept a shoal of Rummy-nose Tetra (if that's the fish you mean?).

I read this before answering your post. Hemigrammus rhodostomus (Rummy-nose tetra)

However, I have a 20 gallon and kept 20 Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows and now have 15 Five-banded Barbs.

I have found that keeping ornaments towards the back and providing swimming room the length of the tank at the front has helped me keep my fish visible. Both species swim actively at the front.

If I were you I would keep 15 Rummy-nose Tetra in this tank.

You don't mention keeping other fish in the 20 gallon long but I would not wish to.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish aren't likely to school as often in a small tank. The Rummynose are already in close proximity due to the relatively confined area of a 20 gal. tank.
Rummynose are very low waste producers. Adding a few more probably won't overload the tank & might increase the likelihood of the schooling behavior.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JettsPapa said:
Maybe if you added a few more? I don't know what else you have in the tank, so I don't know if there's room.

I'm surprised you lost that many. I assume your tank is cycled?
Yes. I am surprised too. Yes, the tank is cycled it currently holds a lot of fish (including the rummy nose) and everyone is doing well. The rummy nose were introduced three months after the tank was cycled. I think the issue was that they were not properly acclimated. I was surprised to find out how fragile they are.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also once a schooling/shoaling fish feels more comfortable in their new enviornment they will branch off from being a tight knit group. I got 12 Vonrio a while back for my 55 and they wouldn't leave each others side for the first week or two but since then they roam all over the 55 and sometimes even swim along side my Serpaes very cool to watch.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I think I found out why the rummy nose is confined to one side of the tank. Of course, there are too many fish in there but I see the rest of the fish are happy and schooling around. The issue is that the rummy nose uses the middle back of the tank near the wall, and half of that territory is claimed by a single male celestial pearl danio. Now you will say it is impossible that such a small fish is so aggressive, but it does attack and chases any fish or group of fish that pass by except the cory catfish. I have even seen it take on and chase away a black ruby barb that is six times its size. I guess this explains why the rummy nose are gathered on the other side in the back. I rarely see rummy nose towards the front.

I am currently watching him chase around the rummy nose, harlequin rasboras and female celestial pearl danios from "his" planted corner as I type this. The male celestial pearl danio is definitely brave for his size, but I'm going to have to discipline him and give him a timeout. The rummy nose do not stand their ground to put up a fight as the Harlequin rasboras do. In fact, they also get chased by them as well.

New Threads