Antisocial Cory?

Jess44246

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've been meaning to post this for a little while but haven't had the time. I have 3 corys in my largest tank (and one twig catfish, fish, and snails). One I've had for about 3 years and last month I introduced 2 small corys after others passed away. The 2 newbies, from completely different shops and different types (peppered and San Juan), like to school together and swim around the tank a lot! But my older guy hasn't been social with any other corys in years. Is it just his personality that he doesn't ever want to make friends or come out with the light on?

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What type of cory is the one other than the peppered and san juan? And by San Juan, do you mean Corydoras bilineatus?

What tank size do you have? And the rest of your stock?

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's because they are different species. Both need to be in groups of 6+. I am unfamiliar with San Juan Corydoras, but I would either get 5 more of those and 4 more of the Peppered, or rehome one of them if you don't have the room to have both.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Agreed that he would be more social if he had more of his own species. Same with the other two species. If you see a couple of them hang out together even though they are a different species, it's because they don't have a choice.

OP
Jess44246

Jess44246

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes the San Juan is officially called corydoras bilineatus. The thing is that one is friends with the peppered! I don't know the species of the one who isn't newer but he is white with black julii-like spots and a back band over the eyes that goes vertically. Also, the fin on top of his body is black. I don't have room for like 9 new corys but I will look for more like the outcaste. He was friends with a peppered who passed about 2 years ago but he ignores my new peppered who keeps trying to befriend him (the San Juan tried to befriend him too). I would take a picture of unknown guy but I can't get a good shot with an ornament in the way so I'll try when he eats at night. I've never seen another Cory in a store that looks like him before either.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
As mentioned, they are together because they don't have any other choice. They may all be cories but they are completely different species. You would see much more natural behavior and they would be less stressed if you keep them with at least 6+ of their own species, assuming you have enough room for all of them.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What tank size is this and the rest of the stock? Peppered, San Juan, and the unknown cories need 6+ of their own SPECIES as they are schooling fish. Keeping it less than 6 can shorten their lifespan.

I would try to get a picture of it.

New Threads