Antique/vintage aquarium magazines 1947, '53, & '62

Cooperman411

I'm a bit of a nostalgia freak and found some aquarium hobby magazines on eBay for a fair price.

December 1953 of "Aquarium Journal", May 1947 of "The Aquarium", and Jan/Feb 1962 of "Tropicals"

I highly doubt anyone would mind or the publishers even still exist. Would their be interest if I scanned them to PDFs for others to read? If there's any interest I'll have time this Thursday or Friday to scan them - or at least the best articles and ads. The ads for aquarium equipment of the day are every bit as interesting as the articles.

Willj626

I would be interested, they sound and look fascinating!

Trenzalore

I would definitely be interested!

Mhamilton0911

I'd totally read that too

JettsPapa

Nice score. I have cattle, and some years ago acquired some cattle magazines from the 30's and 40's, and more from the 70's. I enjoyed reading them.

Cooperman411

Just looking through, you had to be fairly upper middle class to rich to have an aquarium in the 40s and 50s especially. Air pumps were around $25 in the 40s and looked like they were just waiting for a kid to touch and hurt themselves. Electric heaters looked like they posed a constant risk of death to fish and humans by electrocution. Like I said - the ads are the best! Will get something up tomorrow evening.

Cooperman411

Here's the first one. It's compressed so color text or text on a background isn't as clear but it's all legible. You can also select/cut/paste text and search it. It is from 1962 and I didn't read every word but the 60s were not as PC as 2020 so reader beware. (I may be worried for no reason but thought I should remind everyone.) If you need/want the very slightly but 4 times the size higher quality one, let me now. It was a PITA to scan so I may need a break before I scan the next one.

John58ford

You have made my morning. Thanks for sharing

Koneko

I'm reading this now, thank you for sharing.

Trenzalore

Thank you for sharing this!!

Jack B Nimble

Thank you.

FishBoy101

Cooperman411 said:
I'm a bit of a nostalgia freak and found some aquarium hobby magazines on eBay for a fair price.

December 1953 of "Aquarium Journal", May 1947 of "The Aquarium", and Jan/Feb 1962 of "Tropicals"

I highly doubt anyone would mind or the publishers even still exist. Would their be interest if I scanned them to PDFs for others to read? If there's any interest I'll have time this Thursday or Friday to scan them - or at least the best articles and ads. The ads for aquarium equipment of the day are every bit as interesting as the articles.
Reading right now!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom