antibiotic food

1. g

goldenrod1967 New Member Member

I'm starting a new course of Maracyn/Maracyn 2 for fin and tail rot for my young albino oscar- I thought it was getting better, but now seems to be getting worse :(....does anyone know if antibiotic food would be a supplemental treatment for this condition? Also, the maracyn directions say to maintain normal filtration- can I keep my carbon going? So many questions- just want to do the right thing for the little guy!
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I don't see a problem with the antibiotic food. Might be worth a try since he is still eating. You definately need to remove the carbon if you haven't already. Carbon will absorb all the meds out of your tank.

3. J

Jon Well Known Member Member

yes it will but i have heard that carbon only works for the first 24 hours its in your tank... i wouldnt risk it but try checkin this out

4. OP
    OP
    g

goldenrod1967 New Member Member

Thanks guys,
    I'll remove the carbon right away and try the antibiotic food....yes-he still eats very well! My latest problem is how cloudy the quarantine tank is-but I don't want to do a water change mid-treatment do I? I appreciate your input!! ;)
    Lisa

5. G

Gunnie Well Known Member Member

The cloudiness is normal when using this medication. Just ride it out until you have treated according to the directions. ;)