Important Antibacterial food effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, all. I just wanted to alert everyone to something I experienced. It's actually kind of a reassuring conclusion. I'd been posting in the "water" category with questions about aquarium salt and pH because of what appeared to be burns on one of my goldfish. I'd had no ammonia or chemicals in my tank, but one fish started turning dark black all over its body, looking like it'd been charred on a BBQ. Well, I think I finally found my answer. This change occured during the course of a treatment with Jungle Anti-Bacterial food (one of the other fish in the tank had a swim bladder infection, and another had some stringy poop that didn't clear up with parasite treatment and wasn't constipation). Anyway, I thought of several possibilities for the burns: delayed healing from ammonia burns before I bought them, delayed healing from burns from parasite clear tablets, healing burns from aquarium salt, healing burns from high pH, etc., and for one reason or another, none of these made sense. I was completely stumped. Well, after ridiculous amounts of research, I finally came across a site with a discussion about food and color that suggested that anti-bacterial treatments can also kill the good bacteria inside the fish that are responsible for vibrance of color. This completely made sense, but I'd never thought of it. Anyway, the treatment lasted about 10 days, and sure enough after almost all of his body had turned a charred black color, the treatment regimen ended and three days later he's over halfway back to orange, and it looks like it will all be gone in a few days! I'm telling everyone for a couple reasons: first, I don't know if this is harmful to the fish to use these products, but also it's just reassuring to know, and I wanted others who may be experiencing something similar to know that it may not be a big deal and to consider the food/medications before worrying about something more severe. Thanks for reading : )

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks for the warning! Thats a pretty interesting fact, what brand was the fish food?

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No problem : ) The brand I used was Jungle Antibacterial Food. They're pellets that come in a little bottle. I'd used them before without problems, but this fish was especially colorful before, so maybe it was just something different about its pigments. He acted completely healthy otherwise, though - no collapsed fin, no behavioral differences whatsoever, so I'm not sure if they're actually dangerous or if it's just a cosmetic thing. Either way, it was a pretty weird sight!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
dang, thats actually the brand I have too. I bought some after losing a fish to columnaris, I figured it would be a good precaution just to have around. Ill definitely look into that and see if there are any harmful affects other than cosmetics it could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom