Anti-social Betta?

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got a male betta 12 hours ago and I acclimated him and put him in the 20 gallons with other fish. I get it that after months in a cup the fish is probably depressed. But this guy is acting weird. It's mostly tilted on the side and very irritated when the Cory's come up to poke him. Then it goes to hide upside down in the plants until a Cory forces him to relocate. How many days do you think it will take for him to come around? I put him in a bowl now to relax. It was mostly my mistake choosing the betta that was laying on its side, but his color is nice so I thought maybe he has been there for quite some time.

Corydork

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TheFishmonger said:
I just got a male betta 12 hours ago and I acclimated him and put him in the 20 gallons with other fish. I get it that after months in a cup the fish is probably depressed. But this guy is acting weird. It's mostly tilted on the side and very irritated when the Cory's come up to poke him. Then it goes to hide upside down in the plants until a Cory forces him to relocate. How many days do you think it will take for him to come around? I put him in a bowl now to relax. It was mostly my mistake choosing the betta that was laying on its side, but his color is nice so I thought maybe he has been there for quite some time.
Chances are, he was probably super stressed coming out of the cup. Almost every betta I’ve had has needed an adjustment period; hiding and territorially is just part of having a betta. Leave him in the bowl for now, since he’s probably even more stressed after being moved again. Let him get used to your face while he’s in the bowl, too. Give him a couple weeks in the bowl and make sure you’re keeping up on water changes. I’d also add some stress coat to the bowl as well, it never hurts to add some.
As for the aggression, as long as he’s just picking on the cories, it’s fine. Cories can take several hits and keep on chugging.

mrsP

Reaction score
And plants, any live plants that he can hide in, more really is more with live plants in aquarium or bowl. Floating plants are great, or quick growing stem plants. They both also help to keep ammonia and nitrates in check while allowing your fish to relax.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Corydork said:
Chances are, he was probably super stressed coming out of the cup. Almost every betta I’ve had has needed an adjustment period; hiding and territorially is just part of having a betta. Leave him in the bowl for now, since he’s probably even more stressed after being moved again. Let him get used to your face while he’s in the bowl, too. Give him a couple weeks in the bowl and make sure you’re keeping up on water changes. I’d also add some stress coat to the bowl as well, it never hurts to add some.
As for the aggression, as long as he’s just picking on the cories, it’s fine. Cories can take several hits and keep on chugging.
Yeah, I figured being in a cup for so long would be a problem. The fish looks very depressed to me, which is part of the reason I got him aside from his red color. What worries me with this fish is that it is partly on its side, not so much that it hides when I put him in the tank. But most of the bettas I have seen in the cups are the same, they are mostly on their sides. I added prime in the bowl. Not sure how often I should feed him. He hasn't eaten that fish flake I dropped. I'll do water changes every three days and leave him on the desk while I do work. Unless some quiet place is preferred.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mrsP said:
And plants, any live plants that he can hide in, more really is more with live plants in aquarium or bowl. Floating plants are great, or quick growing stem plants. They both also help to keep ammonia and nitrates in check while allowing your fish to relax.
Well, I was planning on adding him to the 20 gallons community. But given the way he looks, I have him in an empty bowl with prime. I'm hoping he will recover because he is mostly on his side.

OP
TheFishmonger

TheFishmonger

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update. After medicating for 3 days in a small bowl I put the betta back in the 20 gallons. I shut off the lights and left it for a day. The betta ate today a bunch of freeze-dried worms. It has recovered from its state of depression and takes up the corners of the tank. Slowly his personality is coming out. I like that he recognizes my face and comes closer to the glass when I put my face close. It was a good choice of getting a betta. I'll be getting a betta for all of my tanks in the future. My betta is currently getting along with the Black Ruby Barbs, the Rummynose, the False Julii, and the Harlequin Rasboras. No conflict, no nipping going on at all. I like that so far I have had luck in selecting extremely peaceful fish for my aquarium. They all get along just fine. So, it's totally worth saving a betta from a cup and I think it would be better to add them into a community aquarium instead of condemning it to a life of boredom in a 2.5 or 5 gallons aquarium.

mrsP

Reaction score
I do agree with you, they seem to be happier with company. ButI would also say that if not having that option, even well kept 2.5 gallon is way better than a bowl, not to mention a cup. ;)

New Threads