Answers For A Continuing Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mac3, May 17, 2018.

1. Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

I have a problem with my 37 Gallon tank. It seems I keep losing guppies every other 2-3 weeks. My water parameters are good

PH 7.2 or usually kept over 7.0
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 0ppm

I've had nitrate go up to 0.5ppm, fixed it, and PH drop occasionally.

I've come to a conclusion that it has to do with my PH, blaming driftwood for that. Or maybe I'm not doing my water changes correctly.

For water changes I mixed faucet water with my drinking water and add seachem prime and some stress coat.

The guppies would act "lethargic", and hanging out by corners then eventually die.

Any input or suggestions to this would be highly appreciated!

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Guppies are too inbred nowadays and aren’t hardy.

Guppies also like harder water. I would try slowly doing just tap.

Can you test the params of both water sources?

Also, a healthy cycled tank should have 10-20 nitrates,

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds like they coupd be sick. Do you have pics.

4. ToCkSiC

ToCkSiCValued MemberMember

did you mean nitrite or nitrate?

I'm sure someone will have more info but as far as I'm aware you need nitrates to be at 10+ppm and nitrites at 0ppm.

5. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

I haven't tested the water for both separate but I know the tap has a higher PH than drinking water, because I tested it. Which was the only reason I even used it.

I did mean nitrates and it was actually 5ppm at one point

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

How large is the aquarium and what is the GPH of your filtration. Is it planted? How are you aerating it?

As an example I have 700 GPH filtration on our planted 37 gallon guppy aquarium and rarely loose any.

My Nitrates run between 20 and 40.

7. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

I think the guppies look normal and healthy but obviously something's wrong

It's a 37 gallon tank, planted, have an air pump with bubble wall and the filter is a 200GPH. But I do run the low setting

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2018
  8. varmintWell Known MemberMember

I presume your filter is an HOB. It is undersized for that size tank. I would suggest running it full out. It would appear from your post, that the PH may be fluctuating. That could be part of your problem. Consistent PH level, even if it's high, is what you should strive for. Hope this helps.

9. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

Thank you for the replies I will look into a new filter soon, I would appreciate any tips on how to successfully do a swap!

Also a question on the fluctuating PH, could the filter be the problem or is it something else like gravel, plants or the driftwood I was talking about?

10. Thunder_o_b

Run both filters for a month. Add SeaChem Stability. I also use SeaChem Pristine. No on the plants. Is the drift wood from an aquarium supplier or did you pick it up from the wild? As for the gravel is it over 2"-3" deep?

Are you using RO or RO/DI water? If so are you remineralizing it?

11. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

Thanks for the help, it's driftwood from a supplier. The gravel and sand are up to 2 inches deep. The drinking water I purchase are from the "water mills" outside of stores we have here in Texas.

By the way what's the recommended GPH for a 37 gallon tank? Is it the 10x by gallon rule so maybe like 400GPH?

12. varmintWell Known MemberMember

Should be 8 to 10x capacity of the tank for an HOB.

13. Thunder_o_b

400 GPH would be good.

14. Lunnietic

LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

Can you measure your actual pH in the tap water? Unless you are combining your bottle water/tap combo the exact same measurements each time you will have pH swings.

I recommend slowly trying to go to just tap water, unless there is another reason other than pH that you are trying to use bottle water for?

My pH sits at 8.2 for reference.

15. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

I just measured my tap water and it sits at a 7.6 PH while my drinking water is a 6.0 PH

The only reason why I would use drinking water in the mix would be because of all the chemical and metals in tap water but I'm using conditioner anyway, so I should probably stick to tap water only? Because 7.6 I believe would be good for my fish.

16. varmintWell Known MemberMember

By all means. Stick to the tap water and use Prime with your water changes and your gtg.

Hello again,

We at Fishlore, like to get an update from time to time, especially if we have suggested a way of doing things or a cure or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

I think I still have the same problem, I've been checking my water parameters and they are still good just like before and even now I have a stable 7.6 ph. I've used seachem prime and started to use API stress zyme.

I've added a seachem 75 filter for 2 weeks now and is running at the same time as my 40 filter like I was advised

The guppy died and I've been getting a few more mysterious deaths. Lethargic behavior happens all the sudden then death.
    I'm afraid I'm dealing with some sickness rather parasites or something bacterial

The guppies seem to lose weight and seem bent a little while swimming in place

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  18. PhillyKev

PhillyKevValued MemberMember

Are they poopin OK? Maybe swim bladder? How frequent and what percent water in your changes? Is water temp stable? Check out this link for some thoughts.  

Good luck.

19. OP
    OP
    Mac3

Mac3New MemberMember

The rest of the fish seem to be pooping ok, can't really tell for the ones affected. I change about 10% water weekly. And the temperature is a steady 78F, the only thing I see effecting this is if the new water put in at water changes isn't exactly the same.

20. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I’d try to up the WCs to 25-50% weekly instead of 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice