Another Zebra Danio with Fish TB -- second opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by millca, Aug 1, 2014.

1. millca

millcaValued MemberMember

[video=youtube;-bIEpO5Zaog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bIEpO5Zaog[/video]

So this little zebra danio is getting skinnier, has a definite curve of his spin (at least it looks like it to me from the top view) back by her tail and has been swimming around the tank like a fish on speed -- going around and around in the same circular "flight" pattern. It is hard to see in this video but when she was in the aquarium and swam directly at me, her eyes were not symmetrical anymore. It was like she could only see out of one eye and thus the need to swim in circles.

So I would appreciate a second opinion from endlercollector and anyone else who has experience diagnosing this disease.

I've already lost at least two snow white danios from TB within the last month. I've pretty much determined that my 29G tank is hosed and it is just a matter of time before they all succumb to the disease. Makes me sad but now I just need to pretty much try to minimize the cross contamination between other tanks. No other tanks are showing any signs of the disease but I won't be taking any chances so no new fishies in any of my tanks.

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I've had a dozen or more die from the curved spine. I was told that it is due to genetics and inbreeding. I was also told that Tb is rare and hard to diagnose as definitive. Maybe some one else has a better answer.

3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Mycobacteria (not actual TB as that's a human disease) is very common. Recent numbers say it accounts for about 75% of fish disease in the hobby today. I can't say that's what this is, as my livebearers haven't had the spastic swimming when they exhibited other mycobacterial symptoms. Then again, Danios are spazzy anyway.

4. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

In my honest opinion, she is stressed out and needs a peaceful end to her suffering. It looks like a mycobacterial infection. I cannot say which exact mycobacteria are involved since that would require testing by someone who knows more than I do.

As I have been learning more and more in the last few days. At this point, I would say it is best to assume that all the tanks in a house are compromised just because the disease can lie latent for years. By the time we see it in one tank, it's already in the others because the human fish keepers keep going around between the different tanks with equipment and not washing their hands. There are not too many people out there who think to do it all the time, which is why there are so many signs in public restrooms reminding employees to do it. But mycobacteria can be lived with, and yes, I am preparing yet another blog post about it. So you can decide to euthanize sick individuals and keep the other fish for as long as they are healthy and manageable.

5. OP
    OP
    millca

millcaValued MemberMember

Thanks endlercollector. I'll play Taps again tonight. Poor little fishie. I'm sorry to see her go. I've had the long-finned danios since the beginning of January. Really enjoyed watching them zip around the tank.

6. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

So sorry you've had to watch them go downhill like this. It's quite an exhausting experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice