Another worm question - good worms this time

1. MsMercenary

MsMercenary New Member Member

I used to keep fish in a different country, where live blackworms were readily available at a pet market. Basically, one bought a small batch at a time, then did water changes in their little "home" till they went funky, then bought another batch. They were by far my favorite to feed my fishies, and the fishies were happy and healthy.

I've done research and can't seem to find a reliable source that's not ridiculously priced with a reputation of mailing some that are not DOA.

I'm not sure I want to get into actually growing them with an appropriate setup (I'm likely just going to have 3 Bettas for a long while), just want to see if the option of buying them in small batches is even available. I am in New York, so suspect this option exists, I've just not yet figured it out (isn't NYC rumored to have everything?).

I would like to avoid frozen ones (and certainly freeze-dried ones).

Any tips or leads from someone who uses them for fish food? I've found some on e-bay, but apparently the source is not at all dependable (DOA, weighing water rather than the worms themselves, etc.)

2. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

California is the biggest source. Honestly i just go frozen, i cant keep up with keeping them alive especially at the price they are at.

3. OP
    OP
    MsMercenary

MsMercenary New Member Member

I know, right? I was shocked at the price - they grow like crazy with very little effort, one would think they'd be cheaper.

I guess I'll go with the frozen, too - unless I get some tips here or decide to actually grow them (yuck!)

But if anyone has a reasonable source to share - please do!