Another tumor, oh no.

1. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

My dog Sasha has another tumor. Vet's estimate is over $1,000. I'm searching for alternative sources of help. It doesnt hurt her, that's good.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Have they determined a cause yet?

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Generally no one knows where tumors come from, same with people. I used to work at an animal hospital, so I've seen plenty! I hope everything turns out okay :)

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I mean if its benign or not :p

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, thank God, so far all benign. They biopsed this tumor and predict it's some type of fiberous cell mass. The 1st was an epilud. She has another on the neck that hasnt changed in size and is very tiny.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats good, though. Why is your vet charging so much?

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

How old is she? My dogs have a few lumps in their old age.

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Here's my estimate. From experience, I'll end up paying the "high" estimate.
    The last surgery was around $700, and that was in her mouth. Seems like a paw would be easier.

Attached Files:

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

At least you get her nails trimmed for free :p

That really is ridiculous, though.

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Right!

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Kinda reminds me how Tuffy charged me $35 for an oil change the other day, and 25 of those dollars were for "labor." You know, you wouldn't have had to charge me so dang much if you didn't have THREE PEOPLE changing the oil on my tiny little Pontiac Vibe! >=( :;swls Back home, theres a Ford dealership that charges $10, any make, any model. I never knew how much I loved that place until I moved up here -_-

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

We do our own oil and it's $35 for the bottle. Then more for the filter. I'll get it done when I have a coupon for like $20.

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Ugh, its so expensive, though! My car reaaaally needed it though lol 7000 miles over :p Runs better, thats for sure ;D

14. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Opps! If it's highway miles it's not that bad.

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, two 750(?)-one-way mile trips. My car is attracted to curbs, though, no matter how hard I try to not hit them, so I need my tires done too, but thanks to Tuffy, I have no money left :rolleyes:

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Are you sure it's the car that's attracted to curbs?

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The harder I try to *not* hit curbs, the harder I do hit them. So yes, its the car :p

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Bless her heart! Do you have any "Value Vets" or similar cost-reducing good quality vets in your area?

19. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I was just thinking that. Like, my local humane society does reduced price spay and neuter....

20. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

While reduced price is helpful for some people (ie that is the only way the pet will be able to have the procedure), reduced price also means reduced quality. The price has to be cut from somewhere. I can only speak for the hospital I worked at, but our prices were a little higher for many reasons. We only used certified vet techs who went to school for what they do, we use special anesthetic gas that is metabolized more quickly so it is safer, we are AAHA accredited (only 17% of animal hospitals are), etc. If you cannot afford your normal vet's prices, then go for it! Depending on the type of mass, surgery may be required for quality of life, or life at all. But if you can afford the pricier procedure, I might go with that so you would have less to worry about. You can ask your vet why the prices are higher and he/she can explain what they do differently. Also many vets will allow you to pay in installments, which may help you out (I'm not sure of your situation, of course).

Just my two cents. Best of luck! Many dogs live long healthy lives with masses, even if they're sometimes dangly and not very aesthetically pleasing :)