Another TSSp/Cycle Question

kiramon2

Good morning,

I had a semi-urgent need to replace my Gold fish tank, which has a relatively small (and new) Oranda goldfish and a still-small Fintail goldfish. My glass had a crack and was starting to leak so I had to do some changes. Eek.

Anyways, I'm not equipped to handle that so I ended up getting a new tank to move things over since it seemed like a good opportunity to bump them up... my local fish store (not a chain) only had a 30g breeder, since I only had a 20g it's basically just longer (24 inch long to 36), but It's a good size for my space either way.

So here is the actual question - I used new substrate because my old one was too big (though these are still more like river rocks so a bit bigger than fine gravel). I had actually started to add a second filter to my old tank in an attempt to switch filters over to an aquaclear50, but my old filter ended up breaking. So I put the AQ50 on one side and got an AQ70 on a low flow for the other side of the tank. I took the old media from my old fish tank (while still wet and bagged it in 2 media bags and put 1 in each filter.

Since I didn't really have the ability to stop my leak, I had to move things quickly with the goldfish moved over-- so I ran my water tests and everything came back good/0s except the Nitrates which were orangeish (though I could see red sitting at the top depending on angle, it was still clearly in the 5-10 range). I always use Prime on my water because our water is littered with chlorine here and threw in some stability for now.

I digress - things are still looking stable but my major questions are below:

1. The pet store gave me a bag of bacteria to use in the water, which I did use. I'm not sure what it was so not sure if it doesn't work with Prime like TSSp?

2. Even though my numbers are good, should I (since it's now been 24hrs) use TSSp to be "safe"? I realize it'll spike numbers so can't really test after, but I'm not sure if it would harm anything to throw it in since the tank seems to be doing the right stuff already -- note , I already have the TSSp so it's not an additional cost.

3. Along with 2, since I have nitrates already showing in the tank, would adding bacteria cause that to spike or since there's not enough Ammonia>Nitrates they'd just do nothing? I'm worried that, despite the water being crystal clear and nice right now, that without being able to change the water level for 2 weeks with TSSp I'd just feel like a trapped nitrate, even though I read they can go pretty high and be "not lethal"

4. Would it be better to throw in the TSSp or keep using Prime/Stability? If I do go the TSSp route, how long after before i should start using Prime?

5. Would it be TSSp for 7 (or 14?) days then water change(with prime) and test? I'm just scared to be unable to do a water change for 2 weeks with Goldfish, though the two filters are kicking butt right now. There is also a suped up airstone doing work without causing a massive current

The goldfish are definitely happier - the new one is way more energetic in the bigger tank, though his fin is still clamped which has me worried (I guess it's called clamped, I'll throw in a picture? It's down against his body, which it was before the water change too since he seems to hate nets more than my other fish ever did! He splashes all around in them like a Magikarp! I would've preferred to wait to make sure the fin went up before the move, but emergency tactics and all... I really want to make sure this guy's ok, I like him!)

Tanks at 72f, though set for 70 on the heater for the Oranda.

Extra-
If anyone has any goldfish tips for dealing with Poo-trails, I have never ever been able to get this other fish (for 1.5 years) to stop having a poop tail and this new one has one too. I only feed them 2-3 of pre-soaked hikari oranda gold (that I throw into the tank so it sinks slowly towards the fish) or a few hikari saki fancy goldfish dropping pellets in a plate/feeding tube. Not sure if that's too much or too little that causes it.
I had another goldfish that had horrible (and heartbreaking) buoyancy issues (didn't think I could ever cry over a fish --RIP Dopey).

Extra Part Deus:
Should Prime/Stability be left out in the open or should it be put into a gallon baggy and closed up? Not sure how oxygen works since it's in a sealed bottle to begin with... same question for fish food in general, should I ziplock-up the bags?

Thanks for any help, I think I wrote more than I intended too...

EXTRA EXTRA Part 3:
That "jug" ornament worries me as now that I have it away from the edge of the glass, the other fish tries to swim through it. However, I have a single little algae eater guy that lives sits there eating off it so I'd hate to get it since he has so little places to hide now. Should I get some like panty hose or something to seal off the openings? Like with panty hose or using mesh bags to make a barrier? not sure how I could get it to stick though -hot glue on the inside maybe and let it fully cure? Would that decompose or add chemicals or something over time?)

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 20

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Was the tank that cracked cycled? If it was and you moved everything but the substrate over I don't think you need to bother with the TSS. You should already have the right bacteria in this tank. You may have a mini-cycle since you left some bacteria behind but it should be replaced quickly.

Stability isn't needed either. Just add prime when you do your water changes.

Upvote 0

kiramon2

Welcome to Fishlore :)

Was the tank that cracked cycled? If it was and you moved everything but the substrate over I don't think you need to bother with the TSS. You should already have the right bacteria in this tank. You may have a mini-cycle since you left some bacteria behind but it should be replaced quickly.

Stability isn't needed either. Just add prime when you do your water changes.

Thanks! Everything I googled took me here, so I figured I'd join and ask the questions banging around in my head!

The tank was fully cycled and running for 2 years. Everything was moved over except the Heater/Substrate and the broken Filter, though I did harvest from it and put them into the new filter(s) -- the AQ50 was running in the cracked tank for about a week and a half before the crack. When should I do the next (first) water change from here?

(The fish store mentioned they do a "monthly cycle," I wasn't sure what they meant by that...)

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I don't know what they meant either but if they meant monthly water changes I do not agree with them. Fresh clean water is the very best thing you can give your fish to keep them healthy. I change out half the water in my heavily stocked tanks each week and then once a month I change out even more.

Since you have goldfish in this tank I will recommend changing out half the water each week. You can let your numbers be your guide though. What are you using to test your parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. You want to see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates less than 40. A pH of 7 or above is best. Since the original tank was up and running for 2 years what was you water change schedule during all that time?
BTW: Can the fish swim through the jug or are you afraid they will swim in and can't get back out? What kind of algae eater do you have? If it is a small pleco they do like places they can hang out inside of.

Upvote 0

kiramon2

I don't know what they meant either but if they meant monthly water changes I do not agree with them. Fresh clean water is the very best thing you can give your fish to keep them healthy. I change out half the water in my heavily stocked tanks each week and then once a month I change out even more.

Since you have goldfish in this tank I will recommend changing out half the water each week. You can let your numbers be your guide though. What are you using to test your parameters? Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. You want to see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates less than 40. A pH of 7 or above is best. Since the original tank was up and running for 2 years what was you water change schedule during all that time?
BTW: Can the fish swim through the jug or are you afraid they will swim in and can't get back out? What kind of algae eater do you have? If it is a small pleco they do like places they can hang out inside of.

That's what I thought they meant, which seemed long to me. I do a bi-weekly schedule which kept my water fine in the smaller tank (except for poor Dopey).

I'll start with 2 but check every week to see if it needs to be more -- I use the API Master Test Kit thing.

I've never seen them swim through UNTIL this new tank, where I saw the white goldfish swim in it. I got scared he wouldn't make it out, but he did -- I'm just not sure if there are sharp edges inside so I don't know.

The pleco is a rubber-lipped pleco. Pretty tiny guy.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

That's what I thought they meant, which seemed long to me. I do a bi-weekly schedule which kept my water fine in the smaller tank (except for poor Dopey).

I'll start with 2 but check every week to see if it needs to be more -- I use the API Master Test Kit thing.

I've never seen them swim through UNTIL this new tank, where I saw the white goldfish swim in it. I got scared he wouldn't make it out, but he did -- I'm just not sure if there are sharp edges inside so I don't know.

The pleco is a rubber-lipped pleco. Pretty tiny guy.
I would check the inside of it for sharp edges and either sand them down or remove it if you can't. If fish see a hole they are going to explore it. They can get themselves in trouble by doing so.

Our little plecos do like their safe places so if you have to remove or plug the jar you may need to add something else for him.

Upvote 0

kiramon2

I would check the inside of it for sharp edges and either sand them down or remove it if you can't. If fish see a hole they are going to explore it. They can get themselves in trouble by doing so.

Our little plecos do like their safe places so if you have to remove or plug the jar you may need to add something else for him.

Thanks! Even if I were to plug, I don't think it'd be a problem - he mostly lives underneath it, but I'll check it out during the next water change!

Upvote 0

kiramon2

For future reference, can I take a media bag from my 75g tropical tank (like the rings) and just stick it into the tank to facilitate the cycling?

Upvote 0

jdhef

Indeed you can. That is one of the best ways to cycle a tank. But make sure you stick it in the filter and not the tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
r5n8xaw00
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views