Another try at live foods

1. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

As some of you know, I keep several species of wild type, wild caught betta, which will not take any prepared foods, despite months of trying to train them onto frozen worms. Feeding these fish is sometimes problematic, which is why I keep live food cultures of various sorts handy at all times.

Well due to the summer heat, I have had several of my cultures die off. So I'm going to try something new.

I'm gonna raise triops! I just purchased a large pouch of eggs from a company out of AZ. My plan at present is to hatch the triops directly in my wild betta tanks, and hopefully a few adults will survive and breed in the tanks. If this doesn't happen, triops are cheap enough to buy so I'll just get more.

I also ordered daphnia eggs with the triops and will add those as well, though I don't know if they will hatch or how well they will do hatching in the water with fish.

I'm hoping this works, as I really, really want these fish to breed and they absolutely will not do it without an overabundance of food. I'll update along the way with how things go, for those that keep wild caught fish. Maybe we can share feeding ideas lol.

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Best of luck with the live food experiment. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I would love to hear how it goes with the triops.. I thought about getting some of those, too.

3. Micaela13

Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Awesome ideas!! I hope it works out for you :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    junebug

Most people who feed triops to their fish hatch them in separate containers. The thing is, I think if the triops hatch in my main tanks, they'll have more food and therefore live longer if they aren't eaten right away. They also make GREAT tank cleaners, as they eat detritus and decaying plant matter, and will help break down my snail waste and decaying plant bits even further. So hopefully they hatch in the tank... lol.

5. emmynk

emmynk Well Known Member Member

Did they hatch in the tank??

6. OP
    OP
    junebug

Nope, never did. I spotted a few daphnia in there, must have come in with the triops eggs. Not sure what the problem was... possibly the water was too acidic for the species they sent.