Another Tetra SafeStart question....

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by upgrade, Apr 8, 2010.

1. upgrade

upgrade Valued Member Member

Alright, i added TSS to my new 30 gallon tank after reading all about it hear and did what was said.

Tank size:30 gallon
    Filter: 30 gallon hang on the back type.
    Filter 2: sponge filter.
    Testing Kit API

Alright now with that out of the way...

I set my tank up April 1st. put in tap water 24 hours later i added Tetra aqua-start (or something like that).

April 3rd i added the whole bottle of TSS as it said to.

April 3rd (20 Min later) Added 5 guppy fry(1 month old).

April 8th Tested water
    Readings:
    Ammonia - .25? (.25 and .50 are practically the same color its hard to tell)
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 5-10ish

I read that its normal to have ammonia up to 1.0 using TSS and it wouldnt do any long team damage but iv read other places anything over .25 will instantly kill your fish.

Question: Is Tetra SafeStart Working?

Fish seem to be happy as can be.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

if your nitrates were 0 when you started then I would say yes. aquasafe is tetra's water conditioner.

ive had a 2 gal tank get to 2 or 3 (or more) before a change, the fish were definitely showing signs of ammonia poisoning (red gills, lethargy, etc) they didn't die, but it definitely shortened their life spans. Any amount of ammonia is bad (especially long term)

:animal0068:Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. Don't forget about the EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for additional thought and or corrections.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2010
  3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

It sounds like the Tetra Safe Start (TSS) is working. Your readings are going to be all over the place for 10 days after adding it. That is why it is suggested that you not test for 7 to 10 days after adding it. The TSS will prevent your fish from ammonia poisoning during this period.

Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Already read it about 10 times :;thx

I think i fully understand everything about cycling i just wanted to know if it was working and if my fish were safe in that ammonia level.

Thanks for the info

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Don't even bother to test your water for a week - you'll get wonky readings that don't mean anything (TSS does that) and then you get all stressed out for nothing. Believe me, I know from personal experience. It took me 4 bottles of the stuff to get cycled because I kept doing stuff to mess it up (like testing the water, freaking out, and doing a water change. That was TSS try #1.)

6. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I looks like it is working, my only conern would be if 5 guppy fry would produce enough ammonia in a 30 gallon tank to keep the bacteria in the TSS alive.

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

if you are feeding them then I would think so, since any leftover food breaks down into ammonia also. I don't see how it would be a problem as long as you gradually increase the bioload after you get cycled, giving the bacteria enough time to colonize and deal with the extra ammonia output from each extra fish put in.

8. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Added 5 more 1 month old fry. have ten 1 inch fry in their now.

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 I agree...some of the tss could die off and it could take longer.....the food wont produce ammonia that fast in a week to keep that amount of bacteria alive IMO

10. OP
    OP
    upgrade

I have roughly 40 one month old fry, should i put them all in? in the guide it said "one(1)" small fish per 10 gallons.

11. 1

1hawaii50 Valued Member Member

Keep in mind that when I used TSS to straighten out my mini-cycle that it took 14 days. On day 13, I figured I'd give it one more day before I had to start the daily water changes again, but on day 14...all was good. Good luck!

12. OP
    OP
    upgrade

it is all set up now! took longer than expected but totally skipped the nitrite stage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice