Another Tank!

cherryrose

My daughter-in-law has had guppies for quite a while. She got frustrated because they kept dying and decided to give the tank and its 2 remaining male guppies to me. I told her I could help her keep them alive, but she isn't interested in continuing to keep fish. It is a 5 gallon, so won't hold any more fish, but I am looking forward to taking care of the 2 little ones and hopefully keeping them alive. I may even add an african dwarf frog later when I am sure all is well.

CherryRose

atmmachine816

Lucky, sure are lucky. Congratualtions. HOpe all goes well

chickadee

Congratulations on the windfall. I will be interested to hear how they do for you.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Congratulastions Cherryrose! Natalie

cherryrose

;D Thanks. My husband says that fish will soon be spilling out of my office and taking over the house. Hmmm, not a bad idea. I would love to have a 55 gallon out in the living room. hehe

CherryRose

0morrokh

congrats! That's pretty sweet, free tank and fish! Hope the Guppies do well for you.

emilai333

Congrats!!! Tell your guppies that Dubh, Rhiannon, Caoimhe, Liam, Aidan, Fionn, and Strahan all say an enthusiastic hello!

For myself, I'm hoping that I might inherit my friends' 10 gallon when I give them a bigger tank for their goldfish. I plan to put a divider in and do a half male-half female guppy tank.

cherryrose

8) That will be cool. I love my 2 divided tanks with my 4 bettas. They are all so different and so much fun to watch.

I don't know if my D-in-L has given names to her 2 male guppies, but I don't think so. I will ask her when I get them. All my fish say hello to you and your fishy friends.

CherryRose

AesSedai

Very nice! I love male guppies. I have a pic of one on my desktop, a blue cobra guppy. It was one of the photos entered in the contest here.

Betta
Blood parrots
Male guppies
Dwarf gouramis

...just making my list Those are my favorites so far..and lil african frogs too

cherryrose

Well, I went to by son and D-in-Law's house and got the tank and fish yesterday. I could not believe how dirty the tank was. It took me forever to get it cleaned. And boy did it smell! I rinsed the bio wheel and filter out in some of my used tank water. I also rinsed the gravel out in the same water. It was absolutely gross. I made sure everything was clean before I set up the tank.

I put the two guppies in the Q tank after I moved Polly and Pepper into the 10 gal with my cories and otos. They (the guppies) are not looking very good, but hopefully will feel better soon. They do look a little better today than they did last night. Last night they planted themselves on the bottom of the tank and barely moved. I did add 2 ml Melafix to the Q Tank with the guppies as I figure there is about 4 gallons of water in it. (Don't worry, I won't use it on my bettas)

I scrubbed the tank really well, but the filter was clogged, so I couldn’t get it to work at first. I used a turkey baster to flush out the tube and now it works fine. Thank you whoever mentioned using a turkey baster in their tank. It flushed out a lot of really yucky stuff. The heater is working somewhat. My D-in-L said that it is preset to 78-80, but so far it only heats the tank up to 74 so I will probably need to get a new heater. There appears to be no way to turn the heater up. The hood and light also work well. When I leave the light on it heats the tank up to 80. It looks really nice now as it is clean, set-up and waiting for the guppies. I am not going to try to put them back into it until they are well as I think they have already had enough stress from the transfer to my house.

They are really pretty as they have orange wavy tails. They are also very fat and I don’t know if they are supposed to be or if it may be a sign of illness. I guess I will have to do some research on guppies. I guess this time I am the one that wrote a book! ;DCherryRose

chickadee

Peas work on guppies too when they are hungry so you may want to do the peas on them after fasting them for a day or so just to make sure that they are not constipated since you do not know how much they have been being fed. Sounds like they could have been being overfed from the sounds of things.

Rose

cherryrose

I'm sure they were being overfed. I remember watching her feed them one day and thought then they were being fed too much. That was even before I came to fishlore. They have been eating Nutrafin Max flakes and Top Fin shrimp pellets.

Thanks, for the advice. I will try the pea treatment on them. I fed them a little this am but they weren't interested. I will fast them tomorrow and will give the pea treatment the next day. My bettas are due for the pea treatment too, so I will just put them on the same schedule.

CherryRose

atmmachine816

Ya guppies eat like pigs, and produce a lot of waste. Sounds like you had a busy day

cherryrose

Yes, I had a very busy day, ATM.

The guppies are still looking like they aren't feeling well, and pretty much hanging out under the horizontal heater at the bottom of the tank. They didn't already have names and I wasn't going to name them yet, as I wasn't sure they would make it, but then changed my mind. I am hoping that if I name them it will give them more of an incentive to live, so their names are Gadget and Gizmo.

I looked at the guppy photos in the guppy gallery and mine look a lot like your blue comet guppy, Aesedai. Their bodies are a little pale right now but look as if they could be blue.

CherryRose ;D

0morrokh

I would definitely get a new heater if I were you. The pre-set ones aren't any good from what I've heard. Just wondering, why do you want the temp up to 80? Guppies prefer a bit cooler than Bettas. 77 or so would be good. 74 won't hurt them but is a wee bit low.

Well, I hope they start feeling better. They're probably just feeling yucky from dirty water and overfeeding...hopefully they aren't sick though. Let us know how Gizmo and Gadget are doing.

chickadee

They are going to need to have it warmer than 74 to prevent constipation. Fish metabolism gets too sluggish when the water is not warm enough. Right now they need to be warmer than they would ordinarily as they need to get their bodies moving and metabolism back up and as long as they are cold they will not get up and move.

Rose

cherryrose

Yes, I definitely need to get a new heater. I figure the little guys should be in at least 78 degree water. I do want them to be warm while they are recovering though.

Yea, that's what I figured, Rose. The Q tank that they are in is right at 80 degrees and is very stable. One of them, Gadget? is actually swimming around the tank right now! Woohoo !!! ;D I will have to decide who is who when I have a chance to watch them more and can tell them apart.

CherryRose

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom