Another sick Betta (Zulu) pic attached - HELP? RIP :-(

Silverliningq

Reaction score
Hi fellow Betta Lovers ???

I went away for work and left my betta with my mum and when I came back he had pop eye. Treated the pop eye and it seems to have resolved but he still has a bloated belly on one side? Thought it was constipation or swim bladder - so for the constipation I fed him some pea and haven't fed him for the last couple of days to flush his system. Doesn't seem to have helped and I am wondering if it is swim bladder?

He seems to float around near the tip of his tank and his now swims crooked. But he is still quick when he wants to be. Doesn't flare at his own reflection anymore but gave me a little flare yesterday morning when I first saw him. When I crumble his med into his water he tries to eat it - he still seems to have his piggy appetite!

He is much happier than when I first came back but he's definately not his old self.
Any ideas appreciated.
Silver

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: Another sick Betta (Zulu) pic attached - HELP?

The latest article I read on Pop Eye is that it is a symptom of Kidney Infection especially if it is accompanied with swelling on one side.

The treatment of this is Triple Sulfa or E. M. Tablets or I believe Maracyn is also the same as E. M. Tablets (active ingredient erythromycin). Just follow the directions on the label and make sure to do a large water change before starting treatment.

What size tank is he in and is it cycled? Please do not tell me he is in a bowl as he needs to be in a heated and filtered environment for any treatment to work.

The temperature should be at 82 degrees and he should have a filter in the tank. This means at least a 3 gallon tank and a 25 watt heater and a filter. A 5 gallon tank would be better. Treating a fish without the fish having the tank cycled is going to be much harder as it makes dosing the medication much more difficult.

All of the above medications call for one tablet or capsule for 10 gallons of water. You will want to dilute one in 10 ounces of water in a disposable cup and put 2 level tablespoons in the tank for each gallon of water. The rest of the meds will need to be dumped as they do not hold over well. You just continue the treatment for the number of days indicated on the package but you will need to do water changes to eliminate the waste products in the water every day. I would change at least 75% every day which means you are going to have to give 1 dose and 75% of another dose for the dose you removed in the water you removed. Depending on what medication you use the directions will be different the next day perhaps so please let me know what you decide to use.. Maracyn will be the same for 5 days as I described above..the Triple Sulfa and the E.M. Tablets will have different directions.

Please let me know how he is doing as we really care about him.

Rose

Silverliningq

Reaction score

Hi Rose - Thanks for the reply. I'll have to go back to the pet shop and find out what they actually gave me as they just gave me white tablets after I told them he had popeye.

I must admit he was living in a circular unfiltered bowl with some weed and his mate the snail. I had thought about getting him a filtered tank but when I went to a fish shop and they asked my what sort of fish they said there was no need and acted like I was abit crazy. But anyway my bad - as soon as Zulu got sick I went and got him 18L (4 Gallons) tank with a filter and light. No heater as yet but I live in the tropics of Australia so I'm not sure if he'll need one. I did get an temp gauge so I can monitor the water temp and buy him one if it gets too cold in winter. I thought that filters were a bad idea with medications? As it would filter the meds out of the water??

I'll drop by the pet shop tomorrow and ask them what medication it was and let you know.

Definitely agree that if you love your betta and don't want a broken heart they need a filtered tank - I hope too many people don't have to learn this the hard way - luckily Zulu is a little fighter and I hope I can get him back to 100%.

Will keep you posted
Silver

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score

Filters are always a good idea, even when you are medicating. what you don't want is activated carbon, which will remove the medication... so you have to remove the activated carbon from your filter and leave the rest of the filter in.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Yes just open the filter cartridge and remove the carbon crystals and then put it back into the filter and put the medication in the tank. If you have been running it with the carbon in and the medication in just assume that you never put any medication in as the filter carbon has removed it. I am so glad you got him a tank but I am thinking unless you can maintain a temperature of between 27C and 28C he is going to need a heater. He needs to have no more than 2 degree fluctuation in his temperature in a 24 hour period to avoid getting sick. The purpose of a heater is not only to heat the water but to maintain a constant temperature.

I do envy you living in the area you do. My father was there during WWII and loved every minute of it before his unit was called out into the South Pacific Islands. I still have a picture of him with his pet Joey.

Rose

Silverliningq

Reaction score

Well I went to the fish shop and they said there was nothing more I could do besides the meds they had already given me! So needless to say I went to a different shop! >

Next shop suggested that I try some Tetracycline instead of the Triple Sulfa (as I think that's what I had already given him? Fish shop also said about taking the carbon out as well. I haven't had Zu in the filtered tank yet as I thought it might be too much of a shock (new environment and all) since he was sick. But I'm going to put him in their tonight when I get home. Yeah the tank it at a constant 28 degrees at the moment so I'll keep monitoring it - I'll get him one for Winter ;D

Cool about your dad - pet skippy hey! Guess you guys are Americans then?

Anyway have attached a pic of Zu's new tank - hope he likes it
P.S - don't be worried about the strength of the filter in this pic as I had it going full bore at that stage to cycle the water well - will turn it down greatly before Zu's grand entrance. ;D

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score

That is what Julian looks like I thought that it was dropsy....

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

It seems to make a difference whether the swelling and all is confined to one side or is present on the whole fish. One side is indicative of Kidney infection and both sides is Abdominal Dropsy which is also a kind of Kidney condition but a lot more severe and less treatable.

This is the latest thing I read on it anyway and so you can take it as you wish.

The treatment is the same for both to start with. Triple Sulfa to start with for at least two rounds.

Rose

Silverliningq

Reaction score

Ok thanks rose will get some more Triple Sulfa.
Here is a pic I took this morning of his smilling face. Still has that funny bludge though but I suppose it may take a little while for that it get better.
I definately think he is on the mend and he seems to love his new tank.
;D

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score

Oh my gosh, that picture of Zulu is one of the coolest betta shots I have ever seen! He looks fierce!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

He is feeling feisty so that is a good sign. If he were moping about I would worry more. It is a really cool picture.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score

8) Neat picture!  I can just hear him saying, "Don't you dare put me in a bowl!"

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Yes that is a really cute picture of Mr Vicious (heh he must be twins with my Fuego) ;D

Now I don't know if this would help or not, but since it's probably a kidney problem, are there any medicated foods that could be fed to help with the internal problems? Paging Rose...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

They do make antibacterial foods for fish but unfortunately they do not float so the best bet is to make your own. You mix the antibiotic in a small spray bottle and lay out a very small amount of betta pellets (that they will eat) and spray the antibiotic mixture on the food and allow it to dry. Then give the normal feeding to the fish two times a day. That is as close as I can get to giving you a direction for a BETTA internal medication unless you want to try getting one of the gel based antibiotics and try to get him to eat it off your finger. (not easy to do and the stuff is expensive)

Rose

Silverliningq

Reaction score
Zulu now has paracites

Well the fun continues. When I got Zulu his new tank I also got him a nice piece of driftwood (with plant attached). Spolit boy he is!
Noticed this week that there seemed to be little worm swimming around in his tank and then noticed yesterday that there were these little tiny white creatures crawling and jumping on the inside of the glass on his tank!
Went to pet shop - got parasite med.
He's not looking too good at the moment - loosing his colour and not very active at all. Poor little thing - I really feel sorry for him as he's had such a bad run!
I still feel like he'll be ok though as he's still eating - 2 pellets morning and night. Even ate a worm he saw floating by. Was funny he was just sitting there and next thing I saw his eye move as he looked at the worm and next thing he swam over and ate it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

They sound like Planaria and they are harmless and actually a good source of protein for your fish. If he wants to eat them, let him.

I do hope that he gets to feeling better but as long as he is eating, it is a very good sign.

Please keep us updated and informed of his progress. You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

Rose

Silverliningq

Reaction score

RIP - Zulu died yesterday.... :'(
Having an empty tank is no fun....

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, I am so sorry about Zulu. Please know that you provided him a better life than he would have had in the small cup in the store and you did all you could to help him. I send my deepest sympathies and will hope you can fill your empty tank when you feel ready.

I am sorry that he just couldn't stay with us, he will be missed.

Rose
:'(

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your losing Zulu, Silverlining.  I thought he might have a chance.  It sounds like you did what you could to help  him, though.

Mike

lisab53

Reaction score
My Condolences on your loss. Their loss is always hard to take but know that others are thinking of you.

Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom