Another shrimp death from a failed molt

michaelsf90

I'm getting rather frustrated now with my cherry shrimp. I'm using the salty shrimp gh plus and keeping gh at around 7 or 8. That is all I add. Water is very soft so very little kh. Is it this that is causing me problems. The low kh is causing failed molts? I have added some crushed coral to the filter and a small amount of alkaline buffer. Maybe I need to use alkaline buffer when doing water changes?

awilkinson871

Shrimp need calcium so if you have very little you will have issues. You can try some of the specialized foods for shrimp that contain extra calcium. You can also add small amounts of calcium rich veggies such as kale, broccoli, etc. The Gh helps keep the Ph stable, but calcium is just as important when keeping shrimp.

michaelsf90

The salty shrimp gh plus should contain calcium. I dont like feeding them too much as not to foul the water. I feed them hikari shrimp cuisine or algae wafers. I will start adding kale or spinach twice weekly

awilkinson871

Have you measured the Kh to see what it is?

Cherryshrimp420

You need to add KH as well. Salty shrimp has a GH/KH combined product which is different from GH+

michaelsf90

I got the gh plus only one as at the time the ph of my tap water had changed to 7.6. So i was bothered that raising kh would raise the ph too high. I may have to get some of the gh/kh one

JettsPapa

The salty shrimp gh plus should contain calcium. I dont like feeding them too much as not to foul the water. I feed them hikari shrimp cuisine or algae wafers. I will start adding kale or spinach twice weekly

If you don't leave it too long it won't cause any problems. I typically boil it for just a few minutes so it will float, then put it in the tank in the evening and remove it the next morning.

Pfrozen

Your KH needs to be at least 2 degrees

And again, the pH is not important here

Up your parameters into a livable range

michaelsf90

Another death today. I did a 20% water change and raised the kh to 2. Gh is 8. Another failed molt. I'm going to keep changing the water at 2 kh and 8 gh. I always drip the water back in. If this carries on il be getting some ember tetras or chili rasboras as they can go in a small tank and are soft water fish

awilkinson871

If you look at your shrimp do they have the white ring of death? If so they are not likely to survive their next molt.

michaelsf90

The two that died had a white ring around the middle and were soft so definitely a failed molt. Its frustrating when the gh is high enough and its annoying fighting the water I have. That's why if they all die out before breeding il replace with a nano fish

Cherryshrimp420

The two that died had a white ring around the middle and were soft so definitely a failed molt. Its frustrating when the gh is high enough and its annoying fighting the water I have. That's why if they all die out before breeding il replace with a nano fish
You need both GH and KH. Without any KH your shrimps will not do well....

bumblinBee

Maybe add cuttlebone directly to the tank? That way the shrimp can access it directly while it leeches into the water

awilkinson871

Gh just helps to raise and stabilize the Ph because acidic water eats the shell. Kh is the calcium level and helps to develop and harden the shell. Both are necessary and cant be too high or too low for the health of the shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies