Another school for the 36gal?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kellyiswicked, Dec 29, 2012.

1. kellyiswicked

kellyiswicked Valued Member Member

Hello everyone!

I have a 36 gallon bowfront that is currently stocked with:

1 dwarf gourami
    7 black ruby barbs

and that's it! I would like to add another school to the tank to make it a little more stocked and active.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's suggestions for fish to add to this stocking!

p.s., this is the school that currently has a case of fin rot - I just want to make it clear that I am not getting any new fish until the condition is cleared up and the water is pristine again. But since I lost a few fish to bad outlets, I'm trying to keep my spirits up by focusing on possible new fish.

Thanks!!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

I would add some bottom dwellers - either corys or kuhli loaches. I think you could do them and a school of small tetras.

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, a nice group for the bottom and the some either black neons, cardinals or other torpedo shaped tetras should be good.

4. Jaysee

Or some blue eyed rainbows, like gertrudes, celebs or forktails.

5. TropicalBettaFreak

TropicalBettaFreak New Member Member

Definitly get some bottom dwellers. Cory cats swim in schools and are very adorable! I highly recommend then, peppered cory cays are pretty cool, and they are small

6. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

I'm going to look into a few of the species suggested that I haven't heard of before!

I absolutely adore corys and have wanted them, but I understand that they require a sand substrate, and my tank is currently all gravel. How hard is it to change over and keep clean? Or would it be possible to keep half of it sand and half gravel?

7. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

You can keep cory's with gravel. It's just harder on their barb's. I kept them with coarse gravel in my other tank now I have the fine gravel. The fine gravel is definitely easier on their barb's.

8. TropicalBettaFreak

TropicalBettaFreak New Member Member

My 4 cory cats are on gravel, but mine tend to hover, swim all levels, and rest on the silk plants.

9. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

I think my gravel would be too large for them, though perhaps I could add a small layer of smaller gravel on top of it and convert an area or two into sand. I'm definitely going to try and make it work since they're so adorable.

Jaysee - I quickly looked up the rainbowfish you mentioned, and the Gertrude's and forktail are particularly beautiful. My only concern is I read somewhere that they are very peaceful fish - I think my barbs are too concerned with themselves to bother anyone else, and the DG mostly floats around the top eating air bubbles, but should I consider that this may not necessarily be a "peaceful" tank to start with?

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a bunch of the Yellow fork tails in a tank and while most times they are very chill fish every now and again they can get VERY rambunctious. They also have the occasional spat over dominance in the tank.

11. Jaysee

I was under the impression that the black rubies were not very aggressive. As long as things are kept conspecific with the barbs, there shouldn't be any problems.

12. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

Oh I'm not worried about the aggressiveness of the rainbowfish haha I can handle the occasional dispute.

The black rubies are not very aggressive at all - I just always have had the preordained notion that barbs are more aggressive than, say, tetras, and I wouldn't want to find out they have tempers at the expense of some poor newcomers.

So, I could possibly get a small school of corys (probably a dwarf species), and another school of rainbowfish?

13. Jaysee

I've found them to be pretty much the same. Tetras have their nippier species just like the barbs do. In any school there will be some degree of infighting, as hierarchies are established and challenged.

14. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

Would rummy nosed tetras or diamond tetras be a reasonable choice? Rainbowfish seem to be difficult to get ahold of as well as being short lived (or so I have read).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice