Another rare but good LFS Story

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I'm in at a LFS I only use for EheI'm parts, Seachem cos they stock everything EheI'm and Seachem and are reasonably cheap. As usual, I am listening to the advice they are giving to unsuspecting customers.

Anyway, one couple was in there buying fish (they had four bags and probably 30 odd fish), and as the sale was going through the register, another sales person recognised the couple. The story goes something like:

LFS: "Are these for the tank you bought yesterday?"
Cust: "Yes"
LFS: "Oooh, umm, I know you've paid for them, but it really is too soon to be introducing that many fish." and the bit I liked best "Your tank needs to cycle first"
Cust: "well what should we do?"
LFS: "Well given you've paid, we can either give you a credit or refund"
Cust: "so we can't add any fish for how long?"
LFS: "Well ideally you'd cycle the tank fishless, but I can understand you want some fish now.... so what do we have?" looks at the purchase, and I wasn't paying attention to what came next...
LFS: Explains cycling etc...
LFS: "Well you can keep these to start, and grab an ammonia tester, and some PRIME..." daily water changes etc followed.

I won't bore you with the rest of the details, but it was seriously like listening to fishlore advice on fish in cycling

And then I was talking to this lady, told her I was impressed that she hadn't just let the customer fully stock their tank.... She says, "well as much as we like to sell our stock, we'd rather look after our customers...." < now get this from an LFS....> "At the end of the day, they're not just fish, they are living animals, and we don't want them dying"

We got talking about other stuff, suffice to say I was fully blown away... Then her boss came past, she whispers to me "yeah, I can only give that advice when he's not around" we both laughed, but she was intrigued by the knowledge I had and the concept of Fishlore...

Anyway, had to share that one....

btw - if anyone in Vic/Aus wants to know which place it was, I'm happy to share via pm.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for sharing!

That's good to hear.

Ken

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is great. It's good to know there are still people out there that care.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cool. Too bad she can't convert her boss.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oooh I like supporting places like this I don't go to Melbourne very often, but I plan to go spend a day checking out a few places and am currently compiling a potential-visit list, so I'd love a pm as to the name/address of the place My favourite LFS has the same attitude as this saleslady, they really do care about the fish and would rather make profits in the long run by looking after their customers rather than duping them. It's such a wonderful change from the places that only pretend to care.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did ya give her the website info or mention it to see if she had heard of us? That is so awesome! Our advise is spreading like a plague.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome, glad to hear stuff like that.

judiecheeks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMO that's how they ALL should be. I would rather spend my money on the things thay tell me I need to take care of the fish, than just fish. What is the point of getting everything when ur fish just die and you give up cuz you're tired of bringing home new fish every 2 weeks cuz they all died.... My LFS didn't tell me anything about puffer puffer, what he should eat, brackish water setup anything.... I found out all that from you (as an impulse buyer I didn't find out until AFTER I bought him *-* and the warranty had passed >.<) Next time I'm going to the awesome LFS on Quinpool.... hopefully they'll be like that girl and tell me what I need to know BEFORE I buy.... OOOORRRRRRRR.... I could just research myself -.-

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
oo oo please PM me! I would LOVE to know where that is, especially if they stock cheap Seachem products!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads