Another question...sorry

Tracy10

Reaction score
hi,
As I am definitely not going back to my lfs,no more....what with all the problems from my previous posts.
What I wanted to ask is,at the moment my tank has no fish,as I took them back.will my bacteria be ok.If they have nothing to feed on ???
Tring to find a decent lfs in my area,so far 2 are not very good.so have I got a time limit,do fish need to go in soon ???

sorry for all the questions,but want to get it right

Tracy

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know when you are wanting to first cycle a tank, you can drop food in every 12 hrs (the fishless method) https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
but I'm not sure if the same trick would work in a tank that is cycled (or even be necessary).

Your tank is cycled now, correct? I think just doing the regular partial water changes would keep the tank ready for new fish. I could be wrong as I'm no expert on the nitrogen cycle, but hopefully some members who are will confirm or deny this.

sgould

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe the bacteria will begin to die off if there is no ammonia source in the tank. They feed on the ammonia, and subsequent nitrite, and without those to feed on, they die out. This would have the unfortunate effect of leaving you with an uncycled tank again. I do not know how much time you have before you start losing the bacteria, but I would either get some fish in there fairly soon, or some other ammonia source to keep the bacteria going until you can get fish.

OP
T

Tracy10

Reaction score
could I add some food,would that help ? then do water change before adding fish.hopefully will be getting fish sunday.
there must be a fair bit of pooh in tank from 3 platies I had in there.

Tracy

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
I heard somewhere 1-2 days. i'd add fish food to help keep the ammonia going. or put in some dead fish/shrimp or something to rot and keep the ammonia up. if you do this i'd keep an eye on levels though and remove dead fish/shrimp before live fish go in. not sure though. just my thoughts?! not a familiar situation! I think my tank was empty just overnight (seems ages ago now. can't remember!) when I had to empty my old leaky tank into a new tank and left over night for cloudiness to settle and temp to settle etc and was fine. my pleco went straight in as there was no-where else to house him overnight, so he'd have helped keep the ammonia going. I formed another tank out of the original tank (split a 45 gal into 2x 28gals) and that was left overnight til I got to the lfs to buy fish to put in there and that was ok too. sorry i'm not much use! good luck. let us know how you get on! tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tracy10 said:
could I add some food,would that help ? then do water change before adding fish.hopefully will be getting fish sunday.
Tracy
Food is an option. https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm - check the 1st 3 options under 'Starting The Nitrogen Cycle Fishless'. If you'll be getting more fish that soon and still have platy poop in the tank, i'm not sure you'll need to do anything to keep the cycle going though.

btw.. don't be sorry to ask another question - it keeps us off the streets at night.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
Tracy10 said:

Tracy
I think that would do ok. the pooh and food should do the job. keep the filter and heater running too. sunday's not too far away.

AnnaEA

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd think that plenty of platy poo (how's that for alliteration?) the biofilter could hold for a coupla days. If I was going to have my tank empty for longer then three days, I'd probably pull out the dropper and ammonia bottle again, and feed it five drops of ammonia every day, until a day or so before I was going to re-introduce fish. And stay on top of the testing to make sure there wasn't an ammonia spike, before I added any fish back.

New Threads