Another Problem

RenegadeRobin
Trumpet snails. Eggs everywhere. I didn't get any trumpet snails? They took over my tank so I moved them to a different one????? HELP?!???
They're like
Like roaches
But I don't have the heart to do anything that would harm them
But I also didnt want like, 1 million trumpet snails and the only thing I have to set the tank on isn't strong enough, and I can't clean the tank (which somehow got real nasty real quick) BECAUSE THEY LIKE TO CRAWL UNDER ROCKS
and I can't find half of them and the other half are microscopic babies!
What do I do?
I can't handle all these dang snails, 1 yeah, 2 maybe, even 8 would be ok, but there's like, 500 baby snails incoming and I just
Just no
What can I do about them? I've read that assassin snails can help curb the population. Maybe I need to hire a little slimy hit man snail lol

KimberlyG
You're in San Diego...Put them in a "pond" in your backyard or on you patio. Then whatever happens, happens. It's nature. (and by pond, I mean rubbermaid container)

RenegadeRobin
Lol, I'm not sure what San diego has to do with anything

KimberlyG
I'm being kind. It would turn to ice here in no time. Our son lives in San Diego, it's far from freezing right now.

endlercollector
I think that means your weather is warm enough to keep them alive outside in March

Did you buy plants and not soak them in a bucket of water with a bit of Potassium Permanganate? If you don't have any animals that will eat these snails, one option is to take out the fish and other animals that you want to keep, put them elsewhere, and put some Potassium Permanganate in the tank, letting it run like that for a couple of days or until the water clears up. This will also kill your beneficial bacteria, and while you could put the filter aside and just let it sit without any filtration, you may have snails and their eggs all throughout your filter.

RenegadeRobin
I think that means your weather is warm enough to keep them alive outside in March

Did you buy plants and not soak them in a bucket of water with a bit of Potassium Permanganate? If you don't have any animals that will eat these snails, one option is to take out the fish and other animals that you want to keep, put them elsewhere, and put some Potassium Permanganate in the tank, letting it run like that for a couple of days or until the water clears up. This will also kill your beneficial bacteria, and while you could put the filter aside and just let it sit without any filtration, you may have snails and their eggs all throughout your filter.
Oooooh, actually it is pretty cold right now, its ridiculous lol

When I got my first fish, I had 2 snails of a different type, but I did what I could with the plants lol, couple days later and I'm asking myself where the heck this big ol trumpet snail came from, and when I got my current guy and cleaned the tank, it was like an egg farm lol
I have no clue how I could have gotten it XD

endlercollector
Oooooh, actually it is pretty cold right now, its ridiculous lol

When I got my first fish, I had 2 snails of a different type, but I did what I could with the plants lol, couple days later and I'm asking myself where the heck this big ol trumpet snail came from, and when I got my current guy and cleaned the tank, it was like an egg farm lol
I have no clue how I could have gotten it XD
Those trumpet snails have a way of hiding for ages and then suddenly appearing in all their eggy glory! That has happened to me a couple of times. You could also put a piece of organic lettuce of spinach in the tank every few days and wait till they glom onto that to keep their numbers at a reasonable level

Mr Clown Loach

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Spinich
  • Question
  • Gracelovesbettas
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Gracelovesbettas
  • jwhorner6