Another pregnant swordtail

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by newbie101, Mar 22, 2006.

1. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Yay! One of my two orange swords is pregnant! I hope she doesn't die like the silver one did... :( I let all the other fry out of the net, as they are now big enough, so she's in there now (and not looking too happy about it either)

2. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

your tanks going to be over poplated soon with all the fry

3. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

I'm giving them to the lfs as soon as they are big enough.
    Anyone know about how long it takes for them to be full grown?

4. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

I think three months

5. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

6. vinWell Known MemberMember

I've got sword fry that are about 8 weeks old. The largest is just about 3/4" long. It will take about 3 months to notice the sex as the males don't start to develop their tail extensions until about that age....Also - be careful - they can start breeding at 3 months!! :eek:

7. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

yikes...thanks for the info

I took her out a few days ago, she was getting really stressed in there

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I think it takes much longer to become full sized. I've had my Guppy fry for almost half a year, and they haven't even reached half size yet. It's so fun to watch them grow!

9. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

oh wow...

10. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Actually, I changed my mind, my fry are around half-grown. Ask your lfs how big they want the fry. They should take them less than full size.

11. vinWell Known MemberMember

They may not want them until they begin to show sex....It does them no good if they can't readily tell male from female.....

12. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, but that makes them only 3 months old, which will be way too small to be sold. Most stores don't bother separate m and f livebearers anyway.

13. vinWell Known MemberMember

How do you sell males and females before they're sexed???? I've seen swordtails who have just begun to develop their swords in tanks to be sold.....That would make them in the 3-4 month old range. So it's not necessarily too young for them to be sold. As long as the males begin to show their coloration and sword they can be sold.

14. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I think we're getting each other confused... :p
    Oh well...Emma, have you asked the lfs how old they'll take them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice