Question Another plant ID question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesL

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just got back from PetSmart and we got a mislabelled plant for cheaps. I can't remember what kind it is exactly, so I figured I'd ask you lot. Thanks for the help. (It's the one on the left).

Siiiiiike, the green one on the right. Thanks!

http://yfrog.com/ccp1030451uj

Last edited:

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It looks like Bacopa species to me. Is the flashlight "tampering" its actual coloration or does it look like the pic shows?

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Last edited:
OP
J

JamesL

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's kind of throwing off the color. It's a solid green, comparable to salad or lettuce. In fact, the leaves resemble lettuce leaves to an extent. They have pointed edges and curl inward slightly.

Edit: It does resemble Bacopa a little, but the Bacopa I've seen has rounded leaves while these are jagged.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks quite a bit like the water wisteria (aka Hygrophila difformis) I used to have. Wisteria is a plant that has completely different appearances depending on what kind of light its grown under... low light looks a lot like your picture, higher light tends to look like most of the pictures that Google returns.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with Mathis 100%.

That's exactly what mine looked like when I brought it home from the LFS. After it started growing under high lights it was like a completely different plant. I have Bacopa too and it does have a much rounder leaf.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry but I'm not sure about that because I don't have any low light tanks to compare it to. Mine grows like a weed but that's with high light.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I though you meant the one at left... go figure. The green one is definitely Hygrophila difformis. I've kept bunch of them in mid to high light tanks. This plant may not do so well in low light as it will likely loose its lower leaves. It needs to be anchored until it develop strong roots capable of holding it in place (which takes some time).

Placed directly below the lamp might be a solution in low light tanks. If you attempt this route, try to place the lamp assembly as far back as possible since this plant will find its way to the surface (and change the morphology of the leaves, hence the name "difformis").

One last thing: consider dosing chelated iron (and other nutrients if possible) at least weekly since this plant seem to have an uncanny nutrient uptake from the water column. If you don't, this plant, and likely all others may turn yellow and perish.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom