Another nitrates thread.

josecarbajal
Ok I been looking through the forum and can't find the correct answer. See picture below
This is before I did the water change today. This has been happening 4-5 days after the water change. It's a 30 gal tank 6 small tiger barbs and 3 "large" about an 1" long. One pleco and albino frog. I always clean the substrate when I do water changes. I'm thinking it's my canister (sunsun) filter. Could it not be big enough

CindiL
Hi, how often do you clean your filter media? Looks like you might have a lot of decaying food and poop inside of it contributing to your nitrates. Also, have you recently tested your tap for nitrates?

Also, how often are you feeding and how much?

I find seachem matrix to be really good at keeping nitrates down though it isn't instantaneous and takes 3-4 weeks but over the long run is very helpful.

josecarbajal
I just cleaned it last week. But I have a sunsun which I am convince it's to small for a 30. Even though they tell me it will work, I think it's to small. The current filter has the sponges and I was going to replace it with ceramic media an ammonia filter nitrate filter and a couple media balls but again due to the size I was not able to. My wife feed a little in the morn and evening and yes they eat about 99% of the food

I haven't yet but I will tomorrow. And search for that

CindiL
Well you don't want to get rid of all your sponges as that is what provides your mechanical filtration. You shouldn't need an ammonia filter as your nitrifying bacteria will take care of that. I'd just have sponges and instead of ceramic media get Seachem Matrix it will as both your ceramic media and also will reduce nitrates.

josecarbajal
24 hours after water change

josecarbajal
Tap water

CindiL
Since you clean the media weekly and you vacuum the substrate then it can only be a couple of things. Either food not being eaten, too much food being fed which results in lots of waste or plant waste (not sure if you have plants) or even a dead decaying fish.

Each fish only needs a few small pellets once a day or a few flakes. I would lean towards over feeding as your cause and cut it down to once a day or feed a lot less.

josecarbajal
I actually only clean the canister sponges once a month

Annie424
Maybe rinse them in old tank water every or every other water change? Or if you have someplace to add some NitraZorb (I've never had a canister filter so really don't know) then you might try it. I use it in my HOB filter, and it is amazing at reducing nitrates.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Adriifu
Replies
Views
DirtyEw0k
Replies
Views