Another newbie here! :)

1. mjh4y Initiate Member

Hi all,

I just spent the last 3 hours reading articles and posts on this AWESOME and, IMO, PRICELESS website! I just got a 20g-high tank ~ in the cycling process, 5 days in ~ unfortunately, I didn't read about not using fish to cycle a tank until I read it on your website :( I have zebra danios in there and I hope they're not suffering too much...

I have the Whisperer 40 (210 gph) and a 20g rated sponge filter in the tank per some hardcore fish fans at my local fish store (independently owned vs. chain).

As my first "real" tank (excluding the setup I had as a kid, which was probably a fish's nightmare), I hope to have mainly community fish: zebra danios, neon tetras, cory catfish, and 1 beta...

I look forward to learning MUCH MORE on here!

Martin

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! How you cycle a tank is really personal preference. When I first started in this hobby, I cycled my 20 gal. long with 3 zebra danios, and they did great! Keep on reading, and if you have any more questions, just give us a holler. That's what we're here for! ;)

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!! Yes I'm afraid I cycled my first tank with fish also, but that was along time ago. now I know there's a better way ;)
    by all means support your local fish store if they are giving you good advice and it looks like they are. Yell if you need anything.
    Carol

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Zebra Danios are fairly hardy little fish and they should pull through the process. Monitor your water parameters and do small water changes periodically and you should be GTG (good to go) - Did I just make up a new acronym? GTG?

Mike

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Mike you are a genius!!! GTG :D :D :D
    Carol