Another New To Forum :)

Bando

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Points
33
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

Currently got a 4 gallon cube for my daughter's betta (fish's name is Samantha). I was stupid and got the 4 gal because I thought it would be big enough! She seems happy with her driftwood, java fern (going bananas) and, several very unheathly, staurogyne repens. She had some ghost shrimp tank mates but she has developed a taste for him.

4 gal equip:
20 gal sponge
25 watt heater
18 inch T5 HO lamp on timer
4 month old and my nasty stuff levels are zeroed with 8.2 pH.
Dose with seachem co2 and trace. However, my repens and Java fern are showing signs of iron def. but I have started dosing with seachem iron for a week now.

4 gallons is lame so a change is order and so the new post .

I got a new 20 gal long and below are my thoughts for it.

Sand substrate 2" (looking to maybe get some Otocinclus - if she'll let me, she is quite 'spunky')
Tidal 55
100 or 150 watt heater
Aqueon deluxe LED hood (got four little goes and their fingers love fish water!)
Larger driftwood (looking for a good source of tannis)

Plants I am thinking about are Cabombas and myriophyllums.
Maybe some MTS' too

Thoughts?
Thanks for looking
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
Bando said:
Hello all,

Currently got a 4 gallon cube for my daughter's betta (fish's name is Samantha). I was stupid and got the 4 gal because I thought it would be big enough! She seems happy with her driftwood, java fern (going bananas) and, several very unheathly, staurogyne repens. She had some ghost shrimp tank mates but she has developed a taste for him.

4 gal equip:
20 gal sponge
25 watt heater
18 inch T5 HO lamp on timer
4 month old and my nasty stuff levels are zeroed with 8.2 pH.
Dose with seachem co2 and trace. However, my repens and Java fern are showing signs of iron def. but I have started dosing with seachem iron for a week now.

4 gallons is lame so a change is order and so the new post .

I got a new 20 gal long and below are my thoughts for it.

Sand substrate 2" (looking to maybe get some Otocinclus - if she'll let me, she is quite 'spunky')
Tidal 55
100 or 150 watt heater
Aqueon deluxe LED hood (got four little goes and their fingers love fish water!)
Larger driftwood (looking for a good source of tannis)

Plants I am thinking about are Cabombas and myriophyllums.
Maybe some MTS' too

Thoughts?
Thanks for looking
If you are talking about s.repens you may want some root tabs and better light. They typically require mid-high light. I would also recommend using Thrive as liquid fertilizer, in my opinion it's the best on the market right now and I have used most out there. I will post a pic of my tank as it looks now and you can see my plants are doing well.
20180429_173511.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Bando

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Points
33
Experience
Just started
Thanks, Dawn and Dan!

Dan,
Would adding another LED row to my new 20 gal in the hood be sufficient for the s.repens?
Is thrive a board fert? If it is, I am cautious about them.
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
Bando said:
Thanks, Dawn and Dan!

Dan,
Would adding another LED row to my new 20 gal in the hood be sufficient for the s.repens?
Is thrive a board fert? If it is, I am cautious about them.
What do you mean a board fert? Have never heard of this. Thrive is basically just like the seachem ferts just a higher concentration and it's an all in one meaning all macros and micro nutrients that plants need to "thrive".
As for the light it wouldn't hurt to add more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Bando

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Points
33
Experience
Just started
Sorry spelling mistake Broad = all in one.
I would rather add the single or two individual missing nutrients instead provoking the algae beast or nutrient burn with an all in one.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Bando

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Points
33
Experience
Just started
Here is Samantha's current home. Unfortunately lots of algae.

20180430_163329.jpg


In my OP, what I got listed for the 20 gal long is what I am thinking of getting.
 

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Messages
813
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
5 years
Bando said:
Sorry spelling mistake Broad = all in one.
I would rather add the single or two individual missing nutrients instead provoking the algae beast or nutrient burn with an all in one.
Honestly I haven't had any issues with Thrive. Its completely up to you on what you go with but you are basically just wasting your money on water and minimal Nutrients.
 

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Messages
529
Reaction score
109
Points
38
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bando said:
Hello all,

Currently got a 4 gallon cube for my daughter's betta (fish's name is Samantha). I was stupid and got the 4 gal because I thought it would be big enough! She seems happy with her driftwood, java fern (going bananas) and, several very unheathly, staurogyne repens. She had some ghost shrimp tank mates but she has developed a taste for him.

4 gal equip:
20 gal sponge
25 watt heater
18 inch T5 HO lamp on timer
4 month old and my nasty stuff levels are zeroed with 8.2 pH.
Dose with seachem co2 and trace. However, my repens and Java fern are showing signs of iron def. but I have started dosing with seachem iron for a week now.

4 gallons is lame so a change is order and so the new post .

I got a new 20 gal long and below are my thoughts for it.

Sand substrate 2" (looking to maybe get some Otocinclus - if she'll let me, she is quite 'spunky')
Tidal 55
100 or 150 watt heater
Aqueon deluxe LED hood (got four little goes and their fingers love fish water!)
Larger driftwood (looking for a good source of tannis)

Plants I am thinking about are Cabombas and myriophyllums.
Maybe some MTS' too

Thoughts?
Thanks for looking

You would only be able to have 2 otos in a 20 gallon and they like to school so it would make them happier to be in a bigger group, but you don't have to.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Bando

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Points
33
Experience
Just started
Dan,
Your comments are fair.

OneLittleBubble,
Is there another small bottom dwelling fish you would suggest? I have thought about loaches or cordy's. What are your thoughts?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Bando

New Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
Points
33
Experience
Just started
Smudge9000 said:
Have you thought about nerite snails? MTS can breed like crazy. There are a lot of cool nerite variations, and they just need some veggies and calcium to live happily.
I am actually trying out a horned nerite (Killer is its [his/her?] name). I have thought about MTS's, but they are not common in my area for some odd reason. Assasin snails, I heard are good at taking care of the MTS's.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom