Another New Koi

Christina98

Ive recently started keeping fish again and have been having my fair share of struggles. I was holding a koi in a 5gal tank for my friend until it was ready to go in my other friends tank.

But my Mom sent me a text today saying that her coworkers son would be bringing a koi over tonight...

Apparently he and his college friends bought a betta and a 2 gallon betta tank from a big name pet store. This betta died within a week so they decided to get a Koi because one of the boys read online that they are very hardy... To make a long very painful story short they kept a koi in a 2 gallon "betta" tank. This Koi has lived for 3-4 years in this tank, I've exchanged a few texts with the boy and he said that he thinks the fish is fully grown because it never grew...

No doubt this fish is stunted but it has managed to survive so far

I just finished emptying out the 5gal I had the koi I just re homed in, and am currently setting it back up so ill have somewhere for this fish. It hasn't been brought over yet but I'm very unsure of what I'm getting myself into and have many many questions

1) I never bought a new better filter for the old koi because I found out it was getting re homed so quickly, but I think its gonna be awhile before I find a new home for this little guy so filter recommendations?

2) could this koi be transferred into a pond? I've been told he's kinda week to rephrase it nicely, so I'm worried how he would do with any other fish

3) any ideas what the life expectancy on this guy would be? I know from my last Koi post everyone said a stunted fish would get sick and die, but this guy hasn't yet.

4) what in the world do I feed him? I've been told he survived off betta pellets for about 6 months cause they just didnt buy new food after their betta died, and since then they fed him fish flakes. I have Koi pellets but is it better to feed him what he's used to when adjusting him to his new home

5) what kind of environment should I set up for him? lots of plants? I'm afraid to say it looks like this 5 gal tank will be his home for a little. I don't know anyone with a pond that is willing to take him and I don't have the ability to get him a bigger tank right now.

TwoHedWlf

Be interested to see what this fish looks like after being kept in such a criminally small tank for years.

Something like this?

img]

Gah, I don't want to attach it you stupid forum.

Attachments

• boxfish-yellow-spotted.jpg
    boxfish-yellow-spotted.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 445
  • boxfish-yellow-spotted-jpg.323190.jpg
    boxfish-yellow-spotted-jpg.323190.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 258

FishFish221

1) Aquaclear 20 for the 5 gallon.
2) A pond is better than a 5 gallon. The koi would at least have a chance to grow to its full size instead of being stunted and living a short life.
3) Not sure, but the fish would be constantly stressed and at a higher risk with health problems. Koi also produce a lot of ammonia [like every other fish meant for a larger tank], so you would have to deal with that too.
4) First feed him what he is fed at his old home and then slowly adjust to the food you want to feed him.
5) Nothing. Adding decorations and plants would just take up space for the already really small space. Kois are best kept in tanks larger than 500 gallons or a pond. If you have the space, you could buy a plastic kiddie pool and put him/her in there with a sponge filter until you get it re homed.

FishFish221

Be interested to see what this fish looks like after being kept in such a criminally small tank for years.

Something like this?
Please be aware of the forum rules and copywrite s.

TwoHedWlf

Please be aware of the forum rules and copywrite s.
I know, if the forum would just let me post a link rather than attaching it.

Christina98

Something like this?

img]

Gah, I don't want to attach it you stupid forum.

surprisingly enough he doesn't look that awful the boy brought him over in his very tiny tank, he seemed ok like there was enough room for him to move around but not enough for him to happily swim.

as soon as I moved him to the 5 gal he started to happily swim around and explore.

He is a very very small fish much smaller then I expected he's about an inch and a half

Christina98

1) Aquaclear 20 for the 5 gallon.
2) A pond is better than a 5 gallon. The koi would at least have a chance to grow to its full size instead of being stunted and living a short life.
3) Not sure, but the fish would be constantly stressed and at a higher risk with health problems. Koi also produce a lot of ammonia [like every other fish meant for a larger tank], so you would have to deal with that too.
4) First feed him what he is fed at his old home and then slowly adjust to the food you want to feed him.
5) Nothing. Adding decorations and plants would just take up space for the already really small space. Kois are best kept in tanks larger than 500 gallons or a pond. If you have the space, you could buy a plastic kiddie pool and put him/her in there with a sponge filter until you get it re homed.

Ok thank you!!
unfortunately I don't have the room for a kiddie pool or anything (I'm 19 and my parents would be less them pleased)
I have gravel in the tank should I take that out too?
He seems much happier and is now gracefully swimming around, turns out this "2 gallon betta tank" was actually one of those crappy little betta tanks that they give bettas away in at carnivals and things like that

FishFish221

Ok thank you!!
unfortunately I don't have the room for a kiddie pool or anything (I'm 19 and my parents would be less them pleased)
I have gravel in the tank should I take that out too?
He seems much happier and is now gracefully swimming around, turns out this "2 gallon betta tank" was actually one of those crappy little betta tanks that they give bettas away in at carnivals and things like that
You could if you want. Removing it would let it be easier to clean out the feces and uneaten food.

Christina98

You could if you want. Removing it would let it be easier to clean out the feces and uneaten food.
Ok thank you so much for all your help!

RyleighJ

I can't believe anyone would think it was okay to put a koi in a tiny tank like that...

That being said, have you looked into trying to give the koi away online? You could post on the buy/sell/trade/free section of the forum here; there would likely be someone who would be happy to take him. If the cost of shipping and shipping materials is a problem, you could ask for a fee to cover the cost.

Christina98

I can't believe anyone would think it was okay to put a koi in a tiny tank like that...

That being said, have you looked into trying to give the koi away online? You could post on the buy/sell/trade/free section of the forum here; there would likely be someone who would be happy to take him. If the cost of shipping and shipping materials is a problem, you could ask for a fee to cover the cost.

he is a little big name pet store fishy and seems pretty week. The sustainability professor I had last semester said he would put him in his pond if I can bring him to school in September... I think he'll survive living in my 5 gal considering how long he lived in the his previous very tiny home. However I'm not sure how well he would do in an hour an a half drive to school. Which makes me nervous to ever ship him anywhere.

He seems happy/ok in the tank I have for him but he seems like a generally weak swimmer probably because he'd never had much room to swim!

These boys had absolutely no idea what they were doing, the horror story he told me about how they treated the poor thing! He must be one very tough koi, because they were using water from there college dorm bathroom sink which is known to kill fish at least at that particular school

RyleighJ

he is a little big name pet store fishy and seems pretty week. The sustainability professor I had last semester said he would put him in his pond if I can bring him to school in September... I think he'll survive living in my 5 gal considering how long he lived in the his previous very tiny home. However I'm not sure how well he would do in an hour an a half drive to school. Which makes me nervous to ever ship him anywhere.

He seems happy/ok in the tank I have for him but he seems like a generally weak swimmer probably because he'd never had much room to swim!

These boys had absolutely no idea what they were doing, the horror story he told me about how they treated the poor thing! He must be one very tough koi, because they were using water from there college dorm bathroom sink which is known to kill fish at least at that particular school
I definitely understand being hesitant to ship. Seeing the state some of my packages arrive in... I don't think I'd be too keen to subject fish to that, especially if they're weak. If he's doing better by September, the 90 minute drive shouldn't be too hard on him, though.

Christina98

I definitely understand being hesitant to ship. Seeing the state some of my packages arrive in... I don't think I'd be too keen to subject fish to that, especially if they're weak. If he's doing better by September, the 90 minute drive shouldn't be too hard on him, though.
How would you suggest packing him for the drive?

RyleighJ

How would you suggest packing him for the drive?
I've never had to move a fish a long distance after purchasing them, so I'm not sure what would be the best way. Personally I would empty the tank about 50% and transport him that way (that's how my mom has done it when she moved with fish), but I don't know for sure if that's the best way. Someone with more experience might be able to tell you how they've done it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Christina98
  • Koi
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
  • Quit
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Quit
Replies