Another Mystery Snail Clutch Question...

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi. So my mystery snail just had eggs and I want to put them in an incubator thing I looked up only for the fact that when they hatch, they are going to get eaten by the other fish...how long after they are laid can I take them off? The video I watched said they just pop right off...but I tried....VERY easily and a couple popped. Did I ruin the whole thing? is it too early to pop them off? How does that work? They aren't coming off without busting.

Sirianna

Reaction score
Hi! My snails started laying a few months ago and since then all my clutches have hatched!

You haven’t ruined it. I usually wait 24-36 hours or so before I try to pop it off. It’ll harden up a little and after that you should be able to push it sideways and pop it off. After you remove it put it in your incubator and keep it humid & warm. Mine is a plastic Tupperware container with holes on the top for air, one tank water wet paper towel on the bottom, and two dry ones over it. You don’t want them to get soaked, but I also mist them every day and just keep it floating on the top of the tank.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sirianna said:
Hi! My snails started laying a few months ago and since then all my clutches have hatched!

You haven’t ruined it. I usually wait 24-36 hours or so before I try to pop it off. It’ll harden up a little and after that you should be able to push it sideways and pop it off. After you remove it put it in your incubator and keep it humid & warm. Mine is a plastic Tupperware container with holes on the top for air, one tank water wet paper towel on the bottom, and two dry ones over it. You don’t want them to get soaked, but I also mist them every day and just keep it floating on the top of the tank.
Lol yesss this was exactly what I was going to do. The lady said it worked for her for 15 years! Thanks.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it's been about a week...since my snail had eggs. The bottom two are the ones that she had a week ago and the top one she had two days after. I have them in a small plastic container with a wet paper towel on the bottom and a dry one on top. Holes are on the lids and it's just floating in my tank. I dunk them in the tank for a split second and then get all the excess water off and cover them back up. I have no idea how to tell if they are fertile or infertile or when they are close to hatching. What do you guys think?

20180503_034538.jpg
20180503_034529.jpg

Also, i have fish that will definitely eat them when they hatch and a tank that's still cycling, so what do you suggest I do with them? Can they survive in a really big bowl with food for awhile?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am not experienced, but am expecting eggs soon myself, and from what I've read, they can survive in a bowl for a while, if it is cycled. Also, I did see someone put them in a breeder box, but I think that was mainly so they could reach the surface, as I imagine a good number would climb out.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mysteries are known escape artists though... I've had one escape on a tiny opening in the lid for my airline tubing. It was out of the water for two days before I saw it crawling back in.... crazy things. Oh, and I mean I saw someone have it in one inside the tank, I'm sure an external one would work better, if that's what you meant.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Mysteries are known escape artists though... I've had one escape on a tiny opening in the lid for my airline tubing. It was out of the water for two days before I saw it crawling back in.... crazy things. Oh, and I mean I saw someone have it in one inside the tank, I'm sure an external one would work better, if that's what you meant.
I'll have to find something better than a bowl. That's the only way I can think of keeping them safe. Haha. Idek if these are fertile or not.

Rtessy said:
I am not experienced, but am expecting eggs soon myself, and from what I've read, they can survive in a bowl for a while, if it is cycled. Also, I did see someone put them in a breeder box, but I think that was mainly so they could reach the surface, as I imagine a good number would climb out.
Goodluck with your snail babies when they come!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In that case, an external breeder may be your best bet, or an internal one if you keep the top an inch or two out of the water

Sirianna

Reaction score
They look fertile to me but it’s hard to tell after only a week! In my experience you can start to see the eggs turn a purple-y color after about 8-10 days, which indicates fertility. That whitish color that some of the eggs are getting has always indicated fertility to me. I prefer putting them in a breeder box in my tank. You could add some seachem stability to help your cycle along when they hatch.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sirianna said:
They look fertile to me but it’s hard to tell after only a week! In my experience you can start to see the eggs turn a purple-y color after about 8-10 days, which indicates fertility. That whitish color that some of the eggs are getting has always indicated fertility to me. I prefer putting them in a breeder box in my tank. You could add some seachem stability to help your cycle along when they hatch.
Okay, I'm sure I can make a breeder box. Made one before for my guppy fry, but the holes were too big. I've been told about stability. I still haven't gotten any. Guess I'll look into that when they start hatching. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom