Another ick thread..temp and salt question

BklynsBurning

Reaction score
added some ottos without a qt...showed signs of ick within the day and i procrastinated due to wide range of info i researched...its now spread to some others

the first question i have is how much salt per gallon?..ive read anywhere from 1/2 tablespoon to 4

the second question is how much can i add per day without shocking the fish?...i have a 55 gal

i'll raise the temp to 86c over the course of 3 or 4 days

the last time i did this all my elodia died... i'll remove it...i also have java fern, amazon swords and a banana plant...any risk with them?

im stocked with platies, golden wonder killis, a bristlenose plec and a clown loach...ill remove my nerite snails as well

thanx for any help offered

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would use 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon. Do a 25% water change daily with 1 tablespoon per gallon of the new water only. After a few changes the salt in the aquarium will be close to that of the new water. I would raise the temperature by 2 degree C. per day ( I think that's about 4 degrees F per day ).
The best solutions for ich are very clean water and heat. I tend to use salt but many people don't recommend it, they just raise the temperature and do daily water changes. I wouldn't use salt for more than a week or so. It may harm your plants. After a week do water changes each day with salt free water to lower the salinity again.

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I forgot to say If you use salt I would move the plec into something else if you can as they sometimes don't cope with salt very well.

OP
BklynsBurning

BklynsBurning

Reaction score
thanx...so do i just dissolve the whole 3.3 cups of salt and dump the whole thing in on the first day?...55 tablespoons is 3.3c according to google..that seems a bit drastic for the livestock

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you do a 25% water change that's about 13 1/2 gallons so you want to add 13 1/2 tablespoons to the new water. Repeat daily for a few days. You don't need to add any more salt to the tank, just add with the new water each day that will gradually increase the tank level.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm amazed your clown loaches haven't eaten the nerite snails yet. They must be awful young loaches.
-
I don't know much about the killis - the other fishes shouldn't have too much with the temp. In theory if you use heat to kill the ick you don't need to also treat with salt.

OP
BklynsBurning

BklynsBurning

Reaction score
its been about a week since i started...heat is at 86f and salt has been added with every water change almost daily

its been 2 days since i see any ich...gonna wait 5 more before i start rolling back the salt content...minimal loss...2 cherry barbs an african glass catfish and the jave fern doesnt look like itll make it back

thanx guys...ill post when im done

New Threads