Another guppy sick

1. click Well Known Member Member

This morning I found one of the guppies in my main tank lethargic and not reacting to anything. On a closer look he looked extremly thin and his gills are redish. He ate last night so I'm not sure why he's looking like he's been starved for weeeks. He was always the smallest of the gang and last night was happly swiming with the others. He doesn't have any of the symptoms my guppy with worms has, so I don't think it's the same problem.

Gave him some food, he ate a bit, but is the gills that worry me. The water parameters are great 0-0-5 (I'm due for a WC today) and Ph as usual 7.2 so I doubt it's a water issue.

The other fish are playing around the tank, showing no sign of any problem. With so little symptoms is hard to determine what's wrong since so far it looks like it can be anything.

These guppies are so fun to watch but they seem to have such low immunity. :'(

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:( I'm sorry click. A lot people have mentioned the fancy guppy stocks weakening in recent years.

Maybe quarantine him and add some garlic juice to his water or soak some of his favorite treats in garlic juice to help boost his immune system.

Best wishes for recovery. :;hug2

3. click Well Known Member Member

I went out and bought a bigger q tank (10g this time) and put both sick fish in the same tank. I'm treating them both with antibiotics and anti-parasite medication. A few hours after the meds were added, the color of the gills in the small guppy seem to turn to a normal color. So something must be right. I will finish the treatment and keep them both in the q tank till the bigger guppy recovers from his internal parasites. At least they are together and none of them feels lonely.

The only odd thing is that 2 little guppy look so awkward all alone in a bare bottom 10g tank...but I guess they'll get used to it for the next week or so.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Poor guppy! My water parameters are the same as yours, and I just noticed my blue one has a split tail fin. :(

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm glad it seems to be helping them Click! I'll send good fishy vibes for a speedy and full recovery. :;group Any idea what the parasite/disease may be? May help to pinpoint it in case it's communicable to the other fishies and just hasn't shown signs in them yet. :-\

Mennu: It's possible that your gup caught it's tail on the edge of a fake plant. Try to figure out which plant it may be, remove it, then keep the water sparkling clean and the tail will heal itself. :)

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, I'll look at them. :)

7. click Well Known Member Member

Tx for the fishy vibes. They help :). Not sure what the guppy has since the only 2 symptoms were red/swollen gills and lethargy. So I bought the Maracyn TC from Mardel to cure what looked like some sort of gill disease. Then, just to be sure is not parasite generated I added Parasite clear from Jungle. Since he looks better and is more active, one of them (or both) worked.

Keeping an eye on the other fish. I hope I won't have to move my whole tank into the hosiptal one. I can't treat the main tank since I have 2 shimps that live there, it would kill them.

Sorry about your gup, Meenu, I hope his tail will heal fast.

8. click Well Known Member Member

Update :(

Lil gup didn't make it.:'( He looked like he's responding to treatment and his color got so much better but today I found him dead. The only thing wrong with him is that he was very thin, like he was not fed for a long time. And I've seen him eat, so no idea why he looked like that. He was the smallest of all, no clue why he didn't grew much, maybe he had some birth issues that I was not aware of or low immunity due to the small size. I guess I will never really know:;dk

RIP lil gup, hope you're in a better place now.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, I'm sorry, click! RIP little guppy.

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry you lost him. RIP little guppy.

11. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Dang. :'( I'm sorry click.