another gravel vac problem

penny
I have finally mastered the art of using a siphon thanks to many helpful tips in this forum. But the gravel vacc is also sucking up all the gravel. Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to take the gravel up also? Any useful tips would be much appreciated.

RiffDawg15
Hmm I have never had that problem with my syphon. Usually the rocks are too heavy for the suction to suck them all the way up into the hose. Usually it sucks them up for a second and then drops them back to the bottom of the tank.

Maybe the rocks are too small for the type of syphon you are using. Usually people only have this problem when they have sand instead of rock as their substrate.

Only thing I can think is to try getting a smaller syphon.

Maybe someone else has had the same problem and will post some help for you.

Peterpiper
Try putting your finger over the end of the hose (the end the water comes out).
This will let you ajust the flow and reduce the syphon so it won't pick up the gravel

Butterfly
Mine sucks the gravel up but not out. Is it sucking it out of the tank? Maybe your pushing it too far into the gravel.
carol

penny
another gravel vacc problem

thanks for your help guys, I will have another go

lilsoccakid
I would fix this by ajusting the distance between the height at the start and end of the syphon

we all know to hav a syphon, the end tube has to be lower then the start. the lower the end is, the faster it will go.

try putting it on a chair or sumthing higher then the ground to ajust the flow until u find one suitable for u

penny
another gravel vacc problem

just had another go with the siphon bucket lifted up onto a chair and controlling the flow with my finger over the end. Pleased to report that there was no more gravel being sucked up into the bucket. What a relief ! Now my fishies can have a nice clean tank. Thanks for all the help. PS, luv the forum!!

Lucy
lilsoccakid said:
I would fix this by ajusting the distance between the height at the start and end of the syphon

we all know to hav a syphon, the end tube has to be lower then the start. the lower the end is, the faster it will go.

try putting it on a chair or sumthing higher then the ground to ajust the flow until u find one suitable for u

I didn't know that.......always just shook the end and the gravel would drop.
By the time I was done vacuuming, I always ended up taking out 50% of the water, so this tip helps.
Thank you!

lilsoccakid
no problem!

Glad to help!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom