Another fishless cycle question.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by flyin-lowe, Mar 20, 2010.

1. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

I set up a 120g last week with some seeded material in the two filters. I started adding pure ammonia last week and was keeping it at about 1-2ppm. Three days ago I started seeing nitrites. Last night I dosed it up to 2 ppm ammonia and in 24 hours it was back to zero. The nitrites are through the roof (to high to register on the API test). I also have some nitrates 5-10 ppm which I know can be from the nitrites). Anyway do I just keep dosing ammonia until my nitrites go down to zero as well? Or do I need to do a water change to bring the nitrites down a little? I have quite a few live plants in the tank so I assume they are helping eat up the ammonia.

2. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

I would do a water change to get the nitrites down to a readable level. Cycling with pure ammonia has a tendency of stalling in the nitrite stage. Once you get the nitrite levels down you should be back on track.

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Great job !
    I would do a small water change if the nitrites are through the roof otherwise you could be stuck here for weeks...ive seen many have it too high in the nitrite phase to stall it....now that you know the ammonia can be taken care of in 24hours, do the small water change and test daily....you shouldnt have to add but half the amount of ammonia each night once the nitrites show up (which they are now)

4. OP
    OP
    f

flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

I did a small water change last night and the nitrites were still off the charts. I did another one this morning and haven't tested again. Should I keep doing them until I get them to a readible level or would the two that I have done help get things going again. I didn't measure but I am guessing I changed 15-20% each time. The ammonia is going away quickly which is a good sign.

5. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

If your NO2 is that high, I would do one large water change of about 60%, there is no benefit of having such high amounts of nitrite. Water changes of less than 30% are going to take a long time to get down to a lower reading.

6. OP
    OP
    f

I did a small water change this morning before work and then dosed with ammonia. This evening I did a major water change ( over 50%) and the ammonia was at zero and I got the nitrites down to about 5PPM, maybe a little higher but it was close. I then added a small amount of ammonia (only about 15 drops). Hopefully I will see the nitrites start to drop soon.

How long can the tank go without ammonia before the BB starts to die? If I dose in the morning and it is down to zero by the evening (12 hours) is it ok to go ahead and dose again or should I wait until the following morning?

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Your other thread has been deleted.
    It gets confusing having the same question in multiply threads.

When the ammonia drops to 0 bring it back up again to 1/2 of what you were adding in the beginning of the cycling process.

Keep doing this until the ammonia and nitrites are processed to 0 in 12-24 hours.

8. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for the help.

9. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:happy0034:
    Hang in there, it looks like you're doing great!
    Cycling can be so frustrating!

10. OP
    OP
    f

Yesterday morning when I got up I dosed with ammonia and when I came home from work I checked it and my ammonia and nitrites were both at zero. I dosed last night and it was both zero again this morning. I dosed this morning and zero again this evening. So I am getting both readings to zero in 12 hours or less. My nitrates are now testing about 10. I dosed again tonight and plan on doing a water change tomorrow and adding the first round of fish. I think some of the cory's are going in first.

11. Prince Powder

Woohoooo! Congrats on the cycle! :;banaman

Have you decided on your full stock yet? Don't forget to QT if at all possible. That's a pretty big tank to have to deal with an ICH outbreak or something like that. I'm groaning at just the thought of having to do 2 gravel vacs a week on a tank that size!

12. OP
    OP
    f

My initial plan was a large school of corrys, a large school of cardinal tetras, and about 8 angel's. I am getting conflicting stories on the cardinals and if the water in my area is too hard to keep them. I am doing some research and I am going to test my hardness. Is there an API test kit that does GH and KH? I am not sure as I have never tested these before and I don't know what range to look for. I am on a well and I have a water softener in my house. I also live within 1/4 mile of a 1000 acre lake so I am sure that is were my water comes from.

13. Prince Powder

I can't really help as far as water hardness goes. To be honest, I've never tested my Gh/KH and don't really know much about those particulars. API does make a GH/KH test kit though.   That's from their website. I've never really looked so I'm not sure if the chain stores carry it, but I would assume DFS would.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice