Another fishless cycle question. Need advise from the experienced please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone,

I have another question regarding the fishless/seeded cycle for my 50 gallon. (Every time I think that I'm at a stage where I need to ask less questions, I'm wrong! This is definitely a hard but rewarding hobby.)

Despite the many threads on the subject I'm still having trouble figuring out when I can add fish to the tank.

I got 2 filter sponges and 1 large decor from my other established tanks. I did not realize that I should have placed the sponge near the filter intake. Silly me. So they've just been lying around in the tank. I added all three items about 1 week ago. My readings for the past 2 days have been 6.6-6.8 pH (hard for me to tell the colors apart), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate. I'm not sure how much longer I should wait. I plan to move my fish from one of the established tanks into this new one.

Thanks for your help and patience with a newbie x

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't worry about asking questions, cycling can be confusing as heck!

Your readings look ok, but have you been feeding the tank some sort of ammonia?
After a week without, you'd most likely lose most of the bacteria.

Edit: Are those the readings from your new tank?
When you said the sponges were in the tank for a week, which tank were they in?

OP
L

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Meenu and Lucy. The 2 month-old sponges are from my established 12 and 5 gallon tanks and have been placed in the new tank for about a week now while this new tank has been cycling. Oh and I forgot to mention that I've been feeding the tank with flake food. The tank is also planted.

I hope I'm making some sense. I plan to move 3 rosy tetras and 2 dwarf gouramis to the new 50 gallon tank.

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if you put that stuff in a week ago and have not added a food source in the meantime, then the bacteria is dead. It needs to be fed everyday. The time to add fish was the same day that you put the sponges from the old filter in the new tank.

OP
L

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow you guys are so great at responding I didn't even have time to edit my thread Yes I've been feeding the tank with flake food.

Appreciate your help!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks good to me, I'd go ahead and add a few fish.
You might want to vacuum first to get any rotted food out.

Congrats!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely start adding fish, just do some daily testing to make sure you don't have any spikes. As long as you are on top of the water params you can do what it takes to remedy the situation, whether it be a water change or even removing some stock temporarily.

OP
L

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yay! That's great news. Thank you Lucy, jetajockey, Meenu and Jaysee. You are awesome!!! ;D

Will add the fish tomorrow after vacuuming. I have a silly question - should I remove the foam or leave them in? If I should leave them in, how long should I leave it in for?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom